This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Yes, it is possible to stay warm AND stylish as East Central Illinois temperatures plummet! Here are eight staples to help accomplish this.

1. Layers, Layers, Layers!

The most revolutionary winter tip to keep warm EVER? Wear a pair of leggings under your jeans! It may feel a little bulkier than usual, but it’s 100% worth it because it goes a long way when it comes to keeping warm. Vests and shirts under shirts are great, too!

2. Fleece-Lined Leggings

Leggings are such a crucial part of most college women’s wardrobes, but it can be painful to wear them when wind chills plunge. Add a little extra insulation to your leggings by investing in a couple pairs of fleece-lined ones.

3. Fashionable Waterproof Boots

Who says snow boots have to be ugly? Brands like Sorel, among many others, have a wide variety of adorable all-weather boots that will basically make you feel like an Eskimo princess. Go all-out with lace-up mid-calf ones with faux fur, or keep it a little more toned-down with some less flashy all-weather booties or bean boots (like from Sperry and LL Bean).

4. Knitted Stocking Caps

Hats are a necessity for most winter days on the U of I campus. Luckily, there are a lot of super cute options that make wearing one more of a fashion statement. Knitted caps—especially ones with pompoms!—are what everyone’s wearing. Love Your Melon hats are a very popular choice, particularly because it is a brand that contributes to children’s cancer charities. The brand CC offers a wide variety of affordable stocking caps, and even has ones with holes in the top to preserve your updo!

5. Boot Socks & Cabin Socks

Insulate your toes with a super warm pair of wool cabin socks. Another fun way to keep warm is with tall boot socks. Coordinate them with any outfit and let them peek out the top of your boots!

6. A Cute Insulated Coat

While you’ll mostly be wearing a more durable puffer coat on campus, there are definitely some occasions where it’s nice to have outerwear that is a little more formal. Snag a pea coat, wool coat, or parka (one that’s not a puffer coat) for times when you don’t want to look like a human marshmallow. It will come in handy for winter job interviews, semi-formals, and more.

7. Scarves Galore!

Recently, blanket scarves have been extremely trendy. This is great for the winter months, because they can be made into a part of your outfit so you’ll be warm both inside and outside. Chunky knit scarves and infinity scarves are also great options for winter neckwear.

8. A Heavy-Duty Puffer Coat

Consider buying a winter parka a long-term investment! Chances are, you’ll wear this coat almost every day during the winter months, so you’ll want it to be as insulated as possible! The North Face, Columbia, and Michael Kors are all popular options for stylish yet very warm coats.

Cover Photo | Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3

Madeline Sievers is an Advertising student in the College of Media at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In her spare time, she loves cooking and baking, binge watching, and being with her friends, family, and adorable kitty. Follow her: @merelymadeline
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.