7 Thanksgiving Episodes to Watch Over Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Some of the best series and sitcoms of all time also have some pretty great Thanksgiving specials. So before binging on turkey during fall break, be sure to binge watch these seven iconic Thanksgiving episodes!

Friends: “The One with All the Thanksgivings” (Season 5, Episode 8)

Friends has become the epitome of classic sitcom Thanksgiving episodes. Almost every season of the show features a celebration of the holiday, and each one has a different theme, ranging from football to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, and from punishing Chandler in a box to flashbacks of the gang. The most notorious turkey-day episode, however, is the one where Monica dances with a turkey on her head. It’s also the first time Chandler says, “I love you” to Monica!

The Office: “WUPHF.com” (Season 7, Episode 9)

The Office doesn’t usually have Thanksgiving specials, but the closest it gets is when Dwight creates “Hay Place” around the same time as the holiday. Unsurprisingly, he crowns himself the “Hay King.”

How I Met Your Mother: “Slapsgiving” (Season 3, Episode 9)

After Marshall wins the Slap Bet, he earns the right to redeem his five slaps on Barney at any time. The first “Slapsgiving” results in a dramatic countdown and Marshall’s homemade “You Just Got Slapped” video. This *hit* episode also lead to two sequels: “Slapsgiving 2: Revenge of the Slap” and “Slapsgiving 3: Slappointment in Slapmarra.”

Gossip Girl: “Blair Waldorf Must Pie” (Season 1, Episode 9)

Gossip Girl always claimed that Thanksgiving was the best holiday for drama—and rightly so! The first season’s Thanksgiving episode filled in all the gaps about what happened before Serena suddenly left for boarding school.

New Girl: “Thanksgiving” (Season 1, Episode 6)

Jess invites Paul, her first boyfriend since breaking up with her ex Spencer, to the “least sexy” holiday according to Schmidt. The turkey also somehow ends up in the dryer…what else would you expect from these dysfunctional roommates?

That 70s Show: “Thank You” (Season 5, Episode 8)

After being rewarded for his “maturity,” Eric just can’t bring himself to tell Red about his F in math and his secret engagement to Donna. On top of that, Kelso brings Eric’s math teacher as his date to Thanksgiving dinner, and Kitty’s crazy parents are there to add to the chaos.

Gilmore Girls: “A Deep Fried Korean Thanksgiving” (Season 3, Episode 9)

Thanksgiving might seem like the perfect holiday for the Gilmore Girls and their bottomless stomachs, but they’re almost defeated in this episode! In order to avoid missing any Thanksgiving celebrations, Lorelai and Rory attend four different dinners across Stars Hollow, including a deep-fried turkey (amongst other things) with Sookie and Jackson and a meatless “tofurkey” with the Kims.

Cover Photo | Photo 1 |  Photo 2 |  Photo 3 |  Photo 4 | Photo 5 | Photo 6 |  Photo 7

Madeline Sievers is an Advertising student in the College of Media at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In her spare time, she loves cooking and baking, binge watching, and being with her friends, family, and adorable kitty. Follow her: @merelymadeline
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.