6 Reasons to Go Through Informal Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

There are some aspects of formal sorority recruitment that may deter girls away from experiencing Greek life. Between the running from house to house in high heels and girls singing about why their sorority is the best, it is easy to see why some girls would just opt out of the whole thing. Although formal sorority recruitment may not be your cup of tea, there is still a way for you to become involved in Greek life and find that sisterly bond you’ve always wanted: informal recruitment. With informal recruitment, you are able to find your fit in a sorority without the chaos and craziness of formal requirement.

Here are six reasons why you should go through informal sorority recruitment versus formal sorority recruitment.

1. You decide which chapter(s) you want to visit.

During the first round of formal recruitment, you have to visit all 19 chapter houses scattered across campus for two days straight. With informal recruitment, you can choose which houses you want to visit out of the ones participating. It’s basically like a “choose your own adventure” game to find the right sisterhood for you!

2. It’s less stressful.

Formal recruitment can have you running uncomfortably all over campus in a dress and heels. Also, during this you only have about 10 minutes during the rounds to get to each house. During informal recruitment, you can ditch the formal attire and wear whatever you feel most comfortable in. You are also on your own schedule, so no runs across campus are required.

3. It’s less of a time commitment.

Girls participating in formal recruitment need to be willing to dedicate two whole weekends to the process. This can get rather lengthy and tiring. With informal recruitment, events at each chapter house are generally around two hours long and you are free to come and go as you please.

4. The recruitment events are more fun.

Most rounds of formal recruitment consist of chatting with chapter members and enjoying some entertainment. This may not be what every girl is looking for. With informal recruitment, you are invited to do fun activities such as bowling, paint fights or ice-skating. At these cool events that you will have the opportunity to really get to know that chapter’s sisters.

5. Can chat with members for any length of time

The rounds of formal recruitment are on a timed schedule, which limits the length of your conversations. You could be having a great conversation with an awesome girl and then all of the sudden time is up! With informal recruitment you can spend as much time as you want at the events giving you freedom to really get to know who you are chatting with.  

6. You can talk about whatever you want

During formal recruitment, in order to keep all chapters on a level playing field, you are asked to avoid talking about the 3 B’s: bars, boys and booze. In informal recruitment, you can talk about literally anything you please. These women would love to answer any and all questions you may have for them.

There are major benefits and drawbacks to both formal and informal recruitment. In the end, both will place you with a great group of girls! For more information about Greek life and sorority recruitment, you can visit the University’s Panhellenic Council’s website: http://illinoisphc.com/

Images via Getty
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.