5 Tips for Handling Multiple Midterms in One Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

College students often experience overwhelming weeks. Especially when multiple exams are scheduled in one week, life can get difficult and stressful. Here are a few tips on how to tackle a jam-packed midterm week:

1. Take a deep breath.

Sometimes you can feel like you have no time to breathe because your week is too busy. Regardless of the work that needs to be completed, taking one minute during the hour to focus on breathing may calm you down. The human body often reacts negatively to stress through unwanted physiological responses. Slowly inhale through your nose and exhale heavily out of your mouth. It won’t hurt to give it a try.

2. Set aside at least thirty minutes to relax.

Even during finals week, it is important to spend thirty minutes during the day to wind down. Whether you want to watch an episode on Netflix or listen to music in a dark room, engaging in a relaxing activity will help ease your mind from the burden of studying. You will also most likely feel your studying becoming more effective after using a “brain break.”

3. Create a plan.

Whether you own a book planner or prefer to utilize a Google calendar, I recommend writing out a plan for the upcoming week. Designate slots for studying, bold the deadlines, and include non-academic obligations to remind yourself to attend them. As the days approach, you can address the work that has been completed, highlight what still needs to be done, and cross off the items that are no longer necessary.

4. Try to stay healthy.

Some college students engage in unhealthy lifestyle habits. Try to maintain a balanced relationship with physical activity, sleep and food choices. Regardless, try to get a reasonable amount of sleep before the exams begin — the human body needs sleep to function effectively. Further, eat a full breakfast on the day of your exam and work hard to avoid cramming. An empty stomach can be a distraction, and cramming can cause feelings of despair and hopelessness. Even if you do not regularly engage in this lifestyle, give these suggestions a try!

5. Call someone you love.

During midterms, call your mom to confide in her and review your plans for the week. It will make you feel better to know that someone who loves you is aware of the stress you are going through and will be there to congratulate you when the week is over. If you are not close with your parents, call a close friend and tell them about your upcoming midterms. Even if they cannot add helpful suggestions, it may feel relieving to get it off your chest and discuss your schedule.

Overall, midterm weeks are dreadful for college students. If you struggle to find an effective approach to academically overwhelming weeks, keep in mind the tips recommended above. Also, this is a reminder that even the longest days only have twenty-four hours!

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3

Yasmeen Najjar

Illinois '21

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." -Eleanor Roosevelt
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.