5 Things I Learned from Freshmen Year 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Freshmen year was one for the books. It has offered me the most opportunities and growth that I have had in a single year and the most challenges. However, I can say that with it quickly coming to an end, the obstacles have only made me stronger and allowed me the most growth. That’s why I’m going to share the five biggest things I have learned this year to hopefully help some future freshmen.  

First Semester = Free Trial  

Think of the first semester as a free trial. One of the biggest mental flips I did coming from high school was telling myself that in college I was just going to “try”. I was going to try new clubs, new study spots, try hanging out with all kinds of people. The best thing you can do is dip your toes in the water even if it’s something you never would have imagined trying a year ago. Now is the time to just try! You can always back out. I never enjoyed writing in high school, but I took a chance just to try and here I am writing for Her Campus and loving it. 

Take a Class in Something You Are passionate about 

School does not have to be stressful and boring for you to learn. As an avid movie watcher, I couldn’t help but take a cinema class first semester and now I watch movies with a different perspective and greater appreciation for the art form. Just because a class isn’t required for your major or minor doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take it. College is all about learning and growing in all different directions and in all different ways, take advantage of that. Which brings me to my next point.  

Be your authentic self 

At college there is nowhere to hide. You can’t go home and hide your true colors from your friends and the outside world. If you do, eventually hiding parts of yourself will wear you out. Not only will be unhappy but you will attract the wrong kinds of people, so the best choice you can make is to stay true to who you are and your passions and the right people and opportunities will find you.   

Body image & Confidence 

This is something no one talks about, but here it is. Your body is changing. Again. There’s jokes about dining hall food and the “Freshmen 15” but aside from diet or change in activity you are growing older. Your body is not going to be the same as it was in your freshmen year of high school and that’s natural. Your body is also helping you through one of the biggest adjustments in your life. Being on your own in a new environment is a lot to take on, so be kind to yourself. Also remember that you are more than just your body. You have passions and emotions as well as humor and thoughts. You’re a whole package, so don’t forget that. 

Homesickness

Lastly, you will be homesick. Whether it’s your family, your friends, your pets or even just your own bed, everyone misses something or someone at some point. And you are not alone. 

Rawan El-Bawab

Illinois '26

My name is Rawan, I'm a freshmen at UIUC from Chicago and I'm super excited to be a part of Her Campus! A little about me, I pretty much spend all my free time hanging out with friends, watching movies/TV shows and listening to music.