This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As you prepare to study abroad(!), one of the most worrisome things is knowing how to pack. It can seem incredibly daunting trying to fit all your essentials for the semester in one suitcase. However, if done correctly, it can be simple and easy. Here are 5 tips on packing for studying abroad. 

1. Make a Packing List and Stick to it

It can be so easy to miss simple items if you don’t write them down. Start making a list at least a month beforehand with all the items you know you will need abroad. This ensures that you have enough time to buy anything you might need and will help you stay organized. 

2. Stick to the Basics 

The majority of your clothes should be simple, staple items that you can dress up or down. Try to stick to a few shirts that you wear often. This is not the time to break out items that you are sitting in the back of your closet. 

3. Know the Weather 

Life abroad can be a lot different, and the same goes for the climate. Don’t assume that your destination will be in the same season at home, because this is often not the case. Make sure you research the weather and come prepared. 

4. Come Electronically Prepared 

Make sure you purchase any adaptors you may need beforehand. This is crucial. Also, make sure to leave the hair tools (straighteners, curling irons, blow dryers) at home. There’s a good chance they won’t survive.

5. Leave the Greek Life Shirts at Home

This also goes for sporting apparel, shirts with American flags or anything that screams “tourist.” Pick-pocketers will target you so try to blend in as much as possible. 

Photo 1 Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4 | Photo 5

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.