5 Spooky Movies and TV Shows to Binge-Watch this Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Ah, Halloween. The perfect time to binge-eat your favorite candy and binge-watch some new TV shows and movies. There are movies for everyone during this season: light-hearted Disney specials or suspenseful ones that are sure to give you a fright. Whichever you prefer, read this article for 5 spooky TV shows and movies to add to your queue this October. 

1. Hocus Pocus

This movie (available on amazon.com) is a Disney classic. Taking place in Salem, Massachusets in late October, Hocus Pocus is about witches who come back from the dead after 300 years. I wouldn’t call this movie frightening by any means, but it’ll definitely give you a thrill. 

2. How to Get Away with Murder

This thrilling TV series (available on Netflix) has many twists and turns that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Join Annalise Keating, a professor of defense law, as she teaches her class how to get away with murder. This show is full of mystery, suspense and gore, which is perfect for Halloween.

3. American Horror Story

This show (available on Netflix) contains every Halloween element you could ever imagine: demons, ghosts, a chilling insane asylum, a witch coven, a freak show and more. Discover the horror this show actually contains.

4. Halloweentown

Another instant Disney classic (available on amazon.com). This is a light-hearted movie about Marnie and her sibling’s adventures with their grandmother in Halloweentown. This movie goes hand-in-hand with Hocus Pocus, so why not watch them back-to-back!

5. Bates Motel

This spooky TV show (available on Netflix) takes place in the coastal town of White Pine Bay. The Bates purchase a motel to start anew, but the neighbors aren’t as welcoming as they had hoped. Join Norman Bates as his psyche unravels in this spooky TV series.

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4 | Photo 5 

Micayla Shevlin

Illinois '21

Micayla is a junior at the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign. She is currently an Advertising major and has loved writing short stories and poetry ever since she was little.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.