This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Summer is approaching faster than we think. With a little less than four weeks left of school, it’s hard not to get stressed out with finals, projects, and lots of studying coming up. However, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and that light is everything to look forward to this summer! I cannot name every reason why I wish summer was already here, but here are my top reasons to look forward to summer.

1. Seeing my friends from home

Whether this was your first year of college or your last, you’ll never stop missing your friends you grew up with. Almost all of your favorite summer memories have them in it. Summer means getting to see your best friends who you haven’t seen since spring break. I cannot wait to spend all day lounging by the pool, eating watermelon and laughing. Then, spending our summer nights, having bonfires while reminiscing about all our past summer activities. 

2. Baseball games

Nothing says summer like taking the train to downtown Chicago to watch a Cubs game. Even if you are not living in Chicago this summer, I highly recommend that you go to a baseball game. You don’t have to buy expensive tickets. Just bring some friends with, get a hotdog and a drink, and no matter where you sit you’ll have a great time. Its a perfect day of relaxing, enjoying the sun, and of course, getting to watch some baseball. 

3. Music Festivals

Throughout the U.S. there are so many different music festivals, no matter where you live, you can attend one. Whether you prefer country, hip-hop, or rap there is a music festival out there for you. The past 2 years I have gone to Lollapalooza in downtown Chicago. This is a four day music festival that has over 100 artists and bands come throughout the weekend. The music played varies from popular alternative rock, heavy metal, punk rock, hip hop, to electronic. Whether you go one day or all four, it is a time you won’t forget.

4. Summer Vacations 

Family vacations are always fun, but I cannot think of anything that can top family vacations in the summer, not having to stress about missing class or work. One week away from everything in a new place to explore. Every year, my family picks a new state to go on vacation. It’s exciting because no two places are ever the same. Every trip has that one breathtaking view that you will always picture when thinking about your fantastic week away. Even if you cannot afford a tropical vacation to a beach, that doesn’t mean you can’t go on a vacation. A weekend at a cottage can be equally fun and relaxing. 

5. Adventures

Without school and a full-time job, summer is filled with free time. Instead of spending majority of your summer watching Netflix, use this time to go new places and try new things. You can spend the day in the city or drive down to Starved Rock for a day of hiking. There are even fun things you can do close to home. Simple things like flying a kite or taking your dog for a walk are a nice way to spend a warm summer day. 

Spend your summer doing things you love. Don’t waste it by sleeping in or watching too much television. Keep your favorite summer activities in mind to help motivate you as you are pushing through these last few weeks of the school year. 

Photo 2  | Photo 3  

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.