This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Fall has always been my favorite time of the year. From the changing leaves, to going to pumpkin patches and everything in between, I feel like I’m constantly finding a way to infuse fall into everything I do. This year due the pandemic, however, it’s going to be a time where more people are staying in and finding things to do at home. What better way to celebrate the season than cozying up in your comfiest clothes, grabbing some snacks and kicking back with some fun, fall-centric movies? Here are some of the best fall movies to watch during this time of the year.

When Harry Met Sally
Castle Rock Entertainment

1. When Harry Met Sally

This 1989 classic deserves all the love it gets and also provides a healthy dose of fall in the process. The fall foliage in NYC alone is a reason to hop on the next flight to the city and enjoy. Generally speaking, this movie is everything one wants in a romantic comedy. From the growing relationship between Harry (Billy Crystal) and Sally (Meg Ryan) to the smart, comical writing, this is a movie that won’t fail at making anyone smile.

2. Dead Poets Society

Dead Poets Society is not only a movie that uses the fall background and aesthetic throughout the film, it’s also an incredibly beautiful film. The late Robin Williams gives an inspiring performance, teaching the students in the film and the audience the meaning of “carpe diem.” While this might not be as much of a feel-good movie compared to others on this list, it’s a movie that will make you feel and reflect regardless  if you’ve seen it or not.

popcorns on clear glass bowl
Georgia Vagim/Unsplash
3. Edward Scissorhands

Honestly, almost every Tim Burton movie could have been on this list. Edward Scissorhands takes the cake because it’s not only one of the most unique films I’ve ever seen, but I also feel like everyone needs to witness Johnny Depp decked out in his intricate scissor hands. While this is not a traditional movie in any sense, it’s one that holds an autumn association in my mind. Plus, I needed to have at least one semi-spooky movie on this list. 

Halloween pumpkins with candles
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

No other movie or book series screams “fall” as much as Harry Potter does, especially in the first movie as the audience is introduced to the Wizarding World and a cozy, fall-like vibe is present throughout. Something about going back to school (and that school being Hogwarts) and enjoying a drink like butterbeer or pumpkin juice has me feeling fall.

Harry Potter World
Photo by Rithika Gopalakrishnan from Unsplash

5. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Although this is definitely a childhood TV special, this “movie” holds a special place in my heart and on this list. The nostalgia I get as soon as I hear the Peanuts theme song (“Linus and Lucy”) is unmatched and puts me in the best mood possible. While this Halloween special is not spooky by any means, it brings back memories I have of trick-or-treating with my friends on October 31.

Liz Gremer

Illinois '24

Freshman at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign studying Speech and Hearing Sciences.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.