5 Inspirational Women on Team USA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

5 Inspirational Women on Team USA 

Team USA has been killing it so far in PyeongChang and we couldn’t be prouder. Let’s take a look at some of the amazing female athletes who are representing our country. 

Chloe Kim, 17 

Chloe Kim is the future of snowboarding. At only 17 years old, she made history at this years Olympics as the youngest female athlete to win an Olympic medal for snowboarding. On her first run for the halfpipe she got an amazing score of 93.75, and on her final run blew everyone away with a near perfect score of 98.25, earning her a gold medal. In an interview Kim thanked her parents for all of their support and said it was amazing to get to win a gold medal in her their home country. 

Lindsey Vonn, 33

Lindsey Vonn is an Alpine Skier competing in her fourth Olympics this year. She has faced many injuries, and after having to sit out the 2014 Olympics due to a knee surgery, she is back and better than ever. Vonn will be competing in the downhill, super-G, and combined events. In a press conference Vonn stated, “I’ve had a lot of ups and downs since Vancouver, but I feel like I’m coming into these Olympics on a hot streak. I am skiing exceptionally well; I have a lot of confidence.” 

Jessie Diggins, 26

Jessie Diggins will be competing in Cross-Country Skiing in her second Olympics this year in PyeongChang. No American woman has ever won a medal in cross-country skiing at the Olympics, and the last American to do so was Bill Koch in 1976. Diggins is determined to make her country proud and bring home a medal. Watch for her favorite event, the individual sprint, which will be occurring on Tuesday, February 20th. 

Mikaela Shiffrin, 22

Mikaela Shiffrin is competing in her second Olympics as a slalom skiier. In 2014, she became the youngest woman to win a World Championship and the youngest athlete in history to win a gold medal for Olympic slalom skiing. 

Mirai Nagasu, 24

Mirai Nagasu began figure skating at the age of 5. She competed in the 2010 Olympic games and is returning for her second games this way. Nagasu helped the U.S. figure skating team win a bronze medal after a historic moment where she landed a triple axel, becoming the first U.S. woman to do so. 

picture 1 picture 2 picture 3 picture 4 picture 5 article for reference article for reference article for reference 

Media and Cinema Studies Major at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign 
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.