5 Fun Summer Activities On a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Summer allows you to releive yourself of the stress from your job, school or internship. However, activities like music festivals or vacations can get expensive—and on a college budget, it can be tricky to find a fun activity at the right price. But if you try going a little out of your comfort zone, you’ll find that there is plenty to do without breaking the bank. Here are five things to do this summer that won’t hurt your wallet.

1. Visit you State Park

Sure, you probably haven’t been to your state park since that class trip in third grade, or maybe you’ve never been at all. But this can be a fun and inexpensive activity to do with your friends. Starved Rock State Park has a variety of trails perfect for hiking—including waterfalls, canyons and chances to see wildlife.  

2. Beach Day

Your local beach can be a fun experience, but branching out and looking at other beaches in the area can pose a new adventure. There are numerous beaches in Chicago and the Chicago suburbs that are close enough for a quick day trip while still getting you that summer tan.

3. Music Venues

Summer is the time of outdoor concert venues. Ravinia, in northern Illinois, offers discounts to students with their ID’s (including college students). This can be a great alternative to more expensive music festivals with ticket prices upwards of a $100. Plus, venues like this have a fun and laid-back atmosphere. The Ravinia grounds let you pack a picnic, so stock up on those wines and cheeses and get ready for some amazing music.

4. Picnic

Speaking of picnics, having a picnic at your local park can be a cheap way to have a meal with your friends. All you have to do is divide up what everyone is bringing in terms of food and you can have a relaxing afternoon or evening. You’ll minimize the cost you would have for a normal meal at a restaurant and you have another opportunity to just relax and enjoy the summer weather.

5. Bonfire

What would summer be without a bonfire? All you have to do is find a location and you’ll have an entire night to unwind from whatever stress you might be under that summer. This also creates the perfect opportunity to have s’mores—a classic summer treat!

Images via Getty

I'm a Journalism major at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. My passion is writing and I hope to do so for the rest of my life ~
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.