5 Easy Ways to Help Japan Now!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As we all know, about a month ago, a deadly earthquake and subsequent tsunami devastated the nation of Japan. Though the tragedy has begun to fade from headlines or be eclipsed by reports of the nuclear troubles, the suffering there is far from over. Preoccupied with the events our daily lives, it’s easy to forget what is happening thousands of miles away, but the country still needs our help. Here are 5 easy ways you can support the relief efforts.

1. American Red Cross: “Text 2 Help”
Much like they did after the earthquake in Haiti last year, the American Red Cross has set up a program where cell phone users can text to donate. By sending REDCROSS to 90999, $10 will be added to your phone bill or deducted from your prepaid balance. Make one of your thousands of texts count.  

2. Utilize Social Media
Information about support and relief efforts can be found all over social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. Facebook also offers the option to donate through the Causes application. “Like” Facebook pages and Tweet the hash tag #PrayforJapan to show your support.

3. Give on iTunes
Apple is helping Japan by offering the option to donate on iTunes. Increments from $5 to $200 are available and 100% of the proceeds go to the American Red Cross. The Songs for Japan benefit album has also been released on iTunes and features songs from artists like Katy Perry and Bruno Mars. The Japanese Red Cross will benefit from your $9.99 and you will get 38 new songs.

4. Buy products that support
Countless t-shirts, posters and bracelets are available for purchase online. One of the more popular products is the Lady Gaga Wristband. The white LIVESTRONG-style bracelet features Lady Gaga’s little monsters logo and the words “We Pray for Japan” in English and Japanese characters. It’s available for $5 on LadyGaga.com.

5. Get creative
Here’s a great one for elementary education majors or anyone who works with little kids. Stu
dents Rebuild and the Bezos Family Foundation have partnered with DoSomething.org and Architecture for Humanity to create the Paper Cranes for Japan program. Japanese legend holds that anyone who folds 1,000 origami cranes will be granted a wish from a crane, a sacred animal. “Our goal is to collect 100,000 origami cranes from young people to represent 100 wishes of support and healing for Japan.” Each crane accounts for a donation and once 100,000 cranes are received, they will be woven into a gift for Japanese students. There is also a virtual mosaic on Facebook. The submission deadline is coming up on April 15t.h and more information can be found on the website: http://studentsrebuild.org/japan/

Remember:
Avoid getting scammed by making sure proceeds go to recognizable and reputable charities like the Red Cross, UNICEF, and WorldVision.

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.