This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

When creating the soundtrack of our lives, pick-me-ups are essential. Music is a getaway from everything sad and gloomy, so let’s find those songs that put us in a positive mood and save the tracks with the melancholic piano and depressive lyrics for those nights in bed with a gallon of Ben & Jerry’s.  Here are 13 songs that just exude positivity. So put on those dancing shoes, paint on a smile, and let’s use music as a vacation from reality. 

1. “Put Your Records On” by Corinne Bailey Rae

From the first line, “Three little birds sat on my window and they told me I don’t need to worry,” it is obvious that this song motivates us to live our best lives. Rae encourages us to let our hair down, listen to our favorite songs, and just relax. The fast and flirty beat meshed with the uplifting and encouraging lyrics make this song a great introduction for the rest of a playlist of positivity. So yes, let’s put our records on and have a great day. 

2. “Cold Cold Man” by Saint Motel 

The very first piano riff will already make you want to smile. Saint Motel has many great tunes that just make you want to get up and dance. Their lyrics are always so catchy and fun, yet extremely well-written. This chorus in particular is hard to shake: “You’re the only one worth seeing, the only place worth being, the only bed worth sleeping’s the one right next to you.” This song will surely boost that serotonin and motivate you to go about your day with exuberance. 

3. “Out Of My League” by Fitz and The Tantrums

A classic love song about a girl who is out of his league. However, despite the melancholic undertones, the song is uplifting and upbeat. Along with the catchy chorus, I’m sure this song can improve your mood in a heartbeat. This edgy, almost electronic sounding song with a retro tone can leave you wanting to be the girl Fitz and The Tantrums is singing about, and trust me, you are. Believe it. 

4. “Send Me On My Way” by Rusted Root

This song is an instant classic. The vibes just scream positivity since it motivates you to travel, go on adventures, and keep moving foward. The beat is fun and fast-paced, causing you to want to move and feel the beat. I listen to this song on my way to class or when I’m in a rush to finish an assignment because the quickness of the drums motivates me to keep going. Rusted Root has had their songs in many different movie soundtracks, so it’s recognizable and of course, memorable. 

5. “Dog Days Are Over” by Florence + The Machine

There is just SO much to say about this song. Not only are the lyrics simply inspiring, but the build of the beat makes you feel like you can accomplish just about anything. I love the first couple of lines, “Happiness, hit her like a train on a track, coming towards her, stuck still no turning back.” It is evident from the beginning that this song is about leaving the sadness (the dog days) behind you and to remain positive instead. Not only does this song fit the overall theme of this article, but this song can also symbolize a new beginning at the end of a long, cold winter. Fitting, right? 

6. “Sleep On The Floor” by The Lumineers

Ah, another song with a great message. Although this song is quite slow, the meaning behind it is just unforgettable. I recommend listening to the lyrics. It comes with a sad story; however, this song is all about leaving everything behind to travel and find yourself. It is easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, but this song motivates you to forget the routine every once in awhile. How fun would it be to live your life with no worries and no regrets? That is what The Lumineers motivate their listeners to do with this song. 

7. “One Love / People Get Ready” by Bob Marley

Everyone knows Bob Marley knows how to make a song full of positive and beachy vibes. Marley’s montra is “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” – something each and every one of us should live by on a daily basis. “One Love” encourages us to come together as one and appreciate life and the world we live in. So, “let’s get together and feel all right,” and leave those bad times behind us. 

8. “Lately” by Forrest

This is a song that is sure to put you in a great mood. The beginning of the track begins with a voiceover from Jim and Pam from The Office. It’s from the scene where Pam admits to the camera that they are dating (and for my Office fans out there, this was a moment we all went “Yes! Finally!”). So if that doesn’t make this song enticing, I don’t know what will! The rest of the song describes how it feels when you’re falling for someone. The butterflies and the fun obsession of it all, paired with a fun, vibe-y beat. This song will make you want to lay on a beach, fall in love, or both! 

9. “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” by The Rolling Stones

We’re throwin’ it way back with this song by The Rolling Stones. Not only is this song upbeat and fun, it comes with a great message. Growing up, my dad would quote this song all the time: “You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometime you find you get what you need.” As a 5 year-old, pouting that I couldn’t have that toy or that last cookie, I didn’t quite understand what this meant. But now, I understand the importance of this line. This song motivates you to take the bad along with the good. So smile and accept life as it comes. 

10. “Heaven Falls / Fall On Me” by Surfaces

This is another song with some beachy, warm vibes. Despite the cold weather, this song will definately make you feel warm and fuzzy. The lyrics exude positivity, motivating you to find your own piece of heaven here on Earth. The beat is relaxed and calm, making this song a perfect fit whether you’re walking to class, doing homework, or chilling at home with friends.

11. “You Make My Dreams” by Daryl Hall & John Oates

I love the guitar riff in this song – it always makes me want to get up and move! This song is definately an oldie but a goodie, and should be added to your positivity playlist. It is important to find that person that makes your dreams come true, but it’s 2019 – make those dreams come true all by yourself!

12. “Cigarette Daydreams” by Cage The Elephant

I’ve got to admit, this is my favorite song of all time, so I’m biased here (saving the best song for last!). This song never fails to put me in a good mood. The song is low-key with a steady beat, but the lyrics are magical. It is all about finding meaning in life: “You can drive all night, looking for the answers in the pouring rain. You wanna find peace of mind, looking for the answer.” I encourage you to find peace of mind and to give your life a meaning, and Cage the Elephant motivates you to do the same.

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4 | Photo 5 | Photo 6 | Photo 7 | Photo 8 | Photo 9 | Photo 10 | Photo 11 | Photo 12

Micayla Shevlin

Illinois '21

Micayla is a junior at the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign. She is currently an Advertising major and has loved writing short stories and poetry ever since she was little.
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.