This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Nights in are essential in order to keep up with your hectic college schedule. Hanging out with friends is fun, but it’s okay to give yourself some “me time” and catch up on what really matters most: a little TLC. 

1. Cozy up in your old, tattered, baggy sweatpants and wear them the rest of the night.

Added bonus: put on your favorite fuzzy socks and be even warmer than ever before. There’s no shame in getting ready for bed at 5pm on a Saturday night. 

2. Light your favorite scented candle.

Who doesn’t love some Apple Cinnamon or some Fresh Linen to really set the mood for your night in? Not only will it get your musty dorm room smelling great, but it will also help you feel calm and collected. It’s all about aromatherapy. 

3. Make yourself a cup of coffee or tea.

Maybe caffeine isn’t the greatest idea if you’re trying to get to bed early tonight, but a warm drink enjoyed in bed is the perfect recipe for relaxation. Consider making hot chocolate or warm apple cider in the fall if you’d rather. 

4. Catch up on school work.

I know, I know, this is the last thing you want to hear, but if you have the time, try to get ahead! College is a busy time and if you have a night off, consider doing 1-2 hours of studying, then, of course, reward yourself. 

5. Use a facemask.

This doesn’t have to be an expensive face mask. Walgreens sells them for cheaper than $5. Grab your favorite one and purify your skin. You deserve it! 

6. Take a hot shower or bath. 

Hot showers relax the muscles and nerves, leading to the relaxation of the whole body. Apply lotion afterwards for the best results. You’ll feel clean, relaxed, and stress-free.

7. Call your parents.

They miss you! Fill them in on the latest gossip, chatter up a storm, and listen as they tell you what’s going on at home. 

8. Add to your music collection.

Finish those playlists you started on Spotify. Organize them by genre and share them with friends. I know I feel less stressed when my music is in order, and maybe you will too!

9. Sleep.

Okay, this one is obvious, but when you will have time to again? Sleep for 2 hours, 5 hours, 15 hours…who cares! This night is for you. 

10. Binge watch your favorite Netflix series. 

This is the time you have to press “yes” over and over again every time Netflix asks if you’re still watching. There’s so many new shows on Netflix that everyone has been buzzing about. It’s time to catch up!

Photo 1  | Photo 2  | Photo 3

Micayla Shevlin

Illinois '21

Micayla is a junior at the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign. She is currently an Advertising major and has loved writing short stories and poetry ever since she was little.
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.