This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

On a day that comes every FOUR years, something special has to happen!

Illinois State University’s very own 103.3 WZND radio station decided to celebrate Leap Day with a photo of students, staff, and WZND members in Schroeder Plaza!

Feb. 29, the additional day of the year 2016, was welcomed with beautiful weather and leaping students! WZND decided to hold a Leap Day event where students and faculty could leap together to celebrate the extra day of the year.

Reggie Redbird and FreddieZ the Gorilla teamed up with WZND to make the event fun and exciting for students! WZND collaborated with several different RSO’s to celebrate the day. Senior Almairis Castillo said, “It was an awesome idea and super creative way to celebrate the extra 24 hours of the year. Too bad this can’t be a tradition!”

A bit of background knowledge on Leap Day: History.com says that Julius Caesar is known as the “founding father” of leap year. Caesar met with the top astronomers of that time and in 46 B.C., decided to add one day known as the “intercalary day, or leap day.” Having this day every four years makes up the discrepancy between the lunar and solar calendars.

Senior and Promotions committee director for WZND, Allie Domenco shares the excitement of the events and how ecstatic she was about the turn out. “We invited many RSO’s to come out and participate in this event and many came! We took a giant leap for leap day and the photos have been all over the university’s and WZND’s social media accounts,” Allie goes on to tell us about how students that attended were given Insomnia cookies and discounted haircut coupons. “Everyone left with a smile on their face and some cool goodies!”

Thanks to WZND and contributing RSO’s for a fun event, hopefully in the year 2020 our Leap Day celebration can be even bigger than it was this school year!

Arielle Steward

Illinois State

Hey guys! My name is Arielle and I am a sophomore at Illinois State University majoring in Public Relations! (Holler to my PR Girls!) Demi Lovato is my life guru and hero. I listen to ALL types of music! I am very proud of my culture being African American, Puerto Rican and Polish, and love to express it in any way I can!
Contributor account for Illinois State