This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Ever day dream about the day you will wake up each morning with perfectly smooth non-frizzy hair and silky skin? Well, for all of you out there who think this is unobtainable, silk may be the answer to part of your morning beauty struggles.

Not only does silk feel luxurious, it can also improve your skin, appearance, and overall health. Here are some reasons to make this fabric a beauty staple in your routine.

Hypoallergenic Qualities

Allergies really are a pesky problem. Silk has natural hypoallergenic qualities that are increasingly appreciated by people who use silk products. This is because silk is free of any potentially irritating added chemicals and contains natural substances that ward off environmental allergens. This includes dust mites, mold, and fungus.

Skin Help

Stay away from synthetic fibers like wools and some cottons that contain stuff fibers. Because silk is composed of long and smooth natural fibers that are tightly woven together, it helps decrease the skin’s loss of moisture. Silk is also free of sericin, which is a protein or bacteria that can cause skin irritation. Try wearing a silk robe after moisturizing, and thank me later.

Shinier Hair

Beauty experts claim that silk can help keep your hair soft, free of tangles, and soft. Even though cotton is the standard pillow case, sleeping on that fabric will cause your hair to knot and bunch. Using a silk pillowcase which is gentler and less likely than cotton to pull at the skin and cause wrinkles.

Sleep

As If we need a reason to want a good night’s sleep. According to the National Center for Sleep Disorders Research at the National Institute of Health, 30 to 40 percent of Americans have problems sleeping. Experts say that bedding may be partly to blame for it. So, why have sheets that can bunch up or irritate your skin?

Talk about beauty sleep. 

Trisha Fritz

Illinois State '19

Hi I am Trisha- a natural born leader with a proven track record on taking chaotic situations and turning them into something great and a wannabe pop-culture expert. I am graduating Illinois State University in 2019 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism with a minor in Writing. In college, I worked at the schools TV station, TV-10. While in school, I’ve managed and motivated my peers in the communication area while balancing a hectic work schedule in the service industry. Do not let my wittiness fool you, this is all just a plan for world domination.
Contributor account for Illinois State