Upcoming Live Action Disney Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Disney has found a great way to reuse their classic storylines with the introduction of live-action movies. Here are the next five live-action movies that will be coming out in the next two years.

Mary Poppins Returns

Fifty-four years after the original movie, Mary Poppins is coming back to the silver screen. Emily Blunt will be taking over the role of Mary Poppins, and Lin-Manuel Miranda will be playing the role of Bert (named Jack in this movie.) The plot features the Bank children coming together for a personal loss, where they are visited by Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins, with the help of Jack, restores some joy and wonder back into their lives. The movie will be in theatres starting December 25th, 2018.

Dumbo

The next animation turned live-action movie is Dumbo. It comes 78 years after the original animated movie. This movie will be directed by Tim Burton and will star Eva Green, Colin Farrell, Danny DeVito and more. In the remake, Holt, a former circus star, comes back from the war and joins Medici’s circus. Holt’s main job is to take care of an elephant who has oversized ears, who we all know is Dumbo, which makes the elephant the laughingstock of the circus. The movie will be in theatres starting March 29th, 2019.

Aladdin

To continue the trend of live-action Disney movies, Aladdin will be the next movie to hit theaters. The movie stars Mena Massoud as Aladdin, Naomi Scott as Jasmine, Marwan Kenzari as Jafar and Will Smith as Genie. This movie will be like the Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast live-action remakes, as it will follow the plot of the original Disney movie. The cast is comprised of actors of Middle Eastern/Oriental descent, as the filmmakers made sure to find actors of the right ethnicity. Aladdin will hit theaters on May 24th, 2019.

The Lion King

The Lion King is one of the biggest Disney movies to ever come out, so when Disney told fans that a live-action remake was in the works, fans were excited to see who would be cast. The official cast was announced on November 1st. The cast includes Donald Glover as Simba, Beyoncé as Nala, James Earl Jones as Mufasa, Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen as Timon and Pumbaa, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar and John Oliver as Zazu. The movie will arrive in theaters on July 19th, 2019.

Mulan

Following the success of the live-action remakes of Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast, Disney has made plans for a live-action Mulan. The writers, directors and producers have been picked, but there is no word yet on who the cast will be. The movie’s release date was pushed back from November 2nd, 2018 to December 18th, 2019. The cast of Mulan has been announced as Chinese Actress Liu Yifei.

Contributor account for Illinois State