Tips for Getting in Shape Before Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s the week before spring break, and naturally us girls tend to freak out about our appearance and try to hit the gym as many times as possible before going away on a tropical vacation. Sure, going to the gym is a healthy thing to do but if you overdo it, it can actually become harmful for your body. Here are some healthy tips for getting in shape right before spring break:

1.   Drink LOTS of water.

We all know that water is the best thing for us but drinking enough water daily plays a major impact in trying to lose weight or just being healthier in general.

• If you find yourself hungry a lot, that could be your body begging for water instead of food, so pay close attention to how much water you drink on a daily basis.
  • Make sure you are drinking at least eight-ounce glasses every day.
  • If you’re trying to lose weight, they say to drink between half of an ounce to an ounce of water for every pound that you weigh.

2.   Eat a balanced diet.

It’s hard to stay away from junk food, especially when you live in a residence hall and it’s right there in front of your face. Just remember that it’s okay to treat yourself every now and then!

• Carbs are usually always the enemy, but before or after a workout it’s actually really important to consume carbohydrates. The reason being, they keep you energized and the more energized you are for a workout, the more successful your workout will be. It’s also important to eat carbs after a workout because they keep you full and you will be less likely to snack throughout the rest of your day. So cutting carbs isn’t always the answer!
  • Everyone knows that eating fruits and vegetables are key for being healthy and getting in shape. But eating fruits and vegetables plain gets old after awhile, so try to spruce up what you eat by adding fruits and vegetables to it to get your daily intake! You could add fruit to your water, cereal, yogurt, just about anything. As for vegetables, you could add them to rice dishes, make a healthy vegetable soup, or even just celery with peanut butter works!

3.   Keep yourself moving.

You don’t always have to be at the gym to get a good workout in. Just simply taking a walk outside will help keep you active and get your blood flowing. If you’re not one for the gym, there are always other ways to work your body.

• Going for a nature hike is a fun and relaxing way to get a workout in! You could also go bowling or for a bike ride with friends! Any of these alternatives are great ways to keep get a workout in without even realizing you’re putting in so much work!

4.   Try to eliminate stressors.

We all have it, and unfortunately stress is one of the worst things for your body. Stress can be an even bigger burden when you are trying to keep yourself healthy and lose weight. Stress can cause us to gain weight and tempt us to give up everything you’ve worked so hard to maintain.

• If you’re feeling stressed out, there are many things that you can do to relax your body. Reading, knitting, and coloring are just a few examples of great ways to clear your mind.
  • Take a hot shower or a bath. Both are great ways to unwind after a long day because they are natural sedatives that calm your mind and your nerves. They also relieve stiffness that your body builds up throughout the day.
  • Drinking hot tea is known to reduce stress and anxiety, especially green tea because it contains certain properties that soothe the body. Burning a candle and drinking a hot cup of green tea is always a great way to relax!

5.   Stay motivated!

It’s hard to keep up the motivation to stay healthy, but just remember that sugary drinks and snacks are the enemy, especially if you are trying to get in shape in a short period of time.

• Ask a friend to do something active with you! Working out with a friend is always helpful because they can help you stay motivated!
  • It sounds cheesy, but writing or reading inspirational notes to yourself can really help your state of mind when trying to accomplish a task.

Remember to keep the prize in mind! You can do it!

Alyse Marin

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State