This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The air is cold and dry, and the central heating in buildings is a nightmare for skin and heavy green concealer is not doing the job. Yes, it is that time of year. Aside from sun protection, moisturizer is arguably the next most important to your skin-care routine. Lotions and creams are essential for maintaining that healthy skin barrier and preventing that itchy, cracking skin.

So if you still have not invested in a good body lotion to restore that scaly skin to its baby-soft potential, now is the time. I have made it even easier for you by making a dry skin survival guide for these upcoming hard times, you’re welcome.

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream

Ulta: $30

This head-to-toe moisturizer provides instant relief. Banish dry skin with this repairing lotion. It focuses on skin types that are dry and flaky. The hydration leaves your skin feeling hydrated and ready to tackle the cold weather with just a single use.

Brazilian Bum Bum Cream

Sol De Janeiro: $45

Bum Bum Cream is an award-winning, cult favorite cream and is an all-over body cream that absorbs quickly and helps visibly tighten the appearance of skin. It is infused with an “all-powerful” caffeine-rich Guaraná extract. The salted caramel fragrance is addictive. Try it and see what this Bum Bum effect is all about.

Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion

Amazon: $8

There is a good reason this body lotion has won an Allure Readers Choice Award for a straight decade. This lotion is clinically proven to improve the health of dry skin in 1 day without breaking the bank. It leaves your skin feeling soft, smooth and naturally healthy that is gentle enough for everyday use.

Kiehl’s Crème De Corps

Sephora: $30

If you love a light weight, non-greasy formula then this is for you. This lotion is formulated with Cocoa Butter and Beta-Carotene that leaves the skin feeling elegantly soft. Crème De Corps is also meant for all skin types with a focus on dry skin. So see your cracked knuckles, we found your kryptonite.

Kopari Coconut Melt

Sephora: $28

This is not your kitchen coconut oil. This coconut melt is comprised of 100 percent pure unrefined coconut oil that melts on contact to provide rich hydration from head to toe. Ideal for all skin types and leaves a dewy glow. The melt is vegan, hypoallergenic, gluten-free, cruelty-free, and organic. Everything we need in a moisturizer.

Lubriderm Advanced Therapy Lotion

Target: $7

For hydration that lasts for days, this lotion is for you. Lubriderm Advanced Therapy soothes and helps relieve extra-dry skin. It helps moisturize for 24 hours, and transform dry skin into healthy looking, more resilient skin. From a dermatologist-developed brand, it is formulated with vitamins E and B5 plus skin-essential lipids naturally found in healthy skin.

So take your pick, any of these will help you get through this winter. Dry skin is no match for these moisturizers.

Trisha Fritz

Illinois State '19

Hi I am Trisha- a natural born leader with a proven track record on taking chaotic situations and turning them into something great and a wannabe pop-culture expert. I am graduating Illinois State University in 2019 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism with a minor in Writing. In college, I worked at the schools TV station, TV-10. While in school, I’ve managed and motivated my peers in the communication area while balancing a hectic work schedule in the service industry. Do not let my wittiness fool you, this is all just a plan for world domination.
Contributor account for Illinois State