mental health phone app?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mental health phone app?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration in Canva for Her Campus Media

SZAlations: Inspirational Tweets from the Popular R&B Singer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

SZA has always been THAT girl. The R&B singer found great success and fame after the release of her 2017 studio album, Ctrl, which is certified platinum. People not only like SZA’s music because of its catchiness and memorizing instrumentals, but also because of the relatability within her lyrics. There’s no doubt SZA has a way with words, and I think it’s because of her hyper self-awareness and deep connection to her emotions.

There’s a trend on TikTok where people are lip-syncing to SZA reading off her own tweets. The message the singer sends in that 280-character text box is insane. Her tweets, along with her music, are a pot of gold. Created with vulnerability and a whole heaping of painful truth, it’s just what you need to hear when self-doubt fills your thoughts. Upon discovering these tweets, I made them a part of my daily mantras. I’ve gotten a real confidence and inspiration boost out of reading them. Obviously, I’m not alone, because the internet had gone wild over these tweets. Now called “SZAlations,” a creative mash-up of her name and The Book of Revelations, they’ve made a mark on pop-culture history. I’m going to share some of my favorite SZAlations with you.

The following comes from @sza on Twitter:

Keep out of petty gossip

SZA for president! Even in adulthood, people can’t help but pray for your downfall. But bad karma is bad karma.

Holding onto anger isn’t good for your health

Such a simple yet important tweet. Destructive energy will break down your mental and physical health.

Don’t take disrespect from anyone

I feel like this is a tweet people-pleasers (myself included) need to hear. If someone disrespects you…it’s okay to cut them off or vocalize your frustration (productively, of course).

You can’t please ’em all. So, always be yourself.

Again, making everyone happy and fitting into everyone’s standards is literally impossible. There are over 8 billion of us, after all. Despite all the noise and unneeded opinions thrown your way, you’ll shine. Keep your goals and ambitions in the forefront, always.

Self-Love above everything

I related this back to a guy I had a crush on. I’d ask myself questions like, what does she have that I don’t? Desperately, I wanted him to choose me. All I needed was a chance. At the end of the day, I had to choose myself. Practicing self-love and taking care of my health comes first. You should never have to convince someone of my worth. Choose yourself. Thank you for reminding me, SZA.

SOS, SZA’s newest album, was released this year, on December 9th. The album features some big names, including Travis Scott, Don Toliver, and Phoebe Bridgers. It’s safe to say we’ll get plenty more iconic tweets throughout this year, so stay tuned and stream SOS.

Isabel Crabtree

Illinois State '25

Hello everyone! I am a marketing student at Illinois State University. I love all things music, true crime, and self-improvement. I write to inspire and share what I've learned. Thank you for reading!