This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Unfortunately, at Illinois State University, there is not a spring break for the semester. Instead, the students are granted two wellness days in light of the current world situation. Although it won’t be the same as having a week off, I hope that everyone will take advantage of these two days and work on listening to their needs. One of the greatest ways to do that is by practicing self-care.

Be Active

Depending on where you live, weather permitting, of course, you may be able to enjoy the outdoors or spend a moment in nature. Try going for a walk around your neighborhood or participating in a YouTube workout video. Doing yoga and meditation are two great additional options if you prefer a more relaxed workout.

Along with these physical self-care suggestions, remember to fuel your body with healthy foods that will give you an extra energy boost. Work towards incorporating a healthy diet in your self-care routine.

Relax and Unwind

Go to bed earlier! This may not sound like a fun idea, especially while on a school break, but one of the best ways to feel better mentally and physically is by being fully rested. Take a nice hot bath or shower before going to sleep, whichever you prefer. Light a candle too if you enjoy the coziness they create in a room. Also, try to avoid going on your phone right before bed. You’d be surprised to see how much better you’ll feel with one good night’s rest.

Keeping that in mind, be sure to create a relaxing night routine. That may include having a cup of tea, diffusing essential oils, or maybe even journaling. Remember to take the time to be mindful of how you are feeling and what you can do to improve that; at the end of the day, you are in charge of your mindset, your body, and your feelings.

Happy Hobbies

Do whatever pastimes relax you. That could include playing an instrument, watching a movie, painting or drawing, spending time with family and friends, or having the day alone to yourself. If you’re looking for something new and exciting, try following a new dinner recipe or the instructions to making a sweet treat. Feel free to binge-watch your favorite tv show. Make a nail appointment or get your hair trimmed. I enjoy leisurely reading, doing a facemask, or just talking to my friends when I have downtime. Whatever it is that makes you feel happy and calm – do it! This break is the perfect opportunity to take the time to recharge yourself to finish out the rest of the semester strong.

Most importantly, use this break to take care of yourself. It can be hard to take the time out of your week, let alone each day, for yourself. Getting into the habit of doing any form of self-care is wonderful and has substantial benefits. Use this spring break as a starting point. After all, you owe it to yourself to be kind to your body, and what better way to do that than with self-care.

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!
Contributor account for Illinois State