This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If you’re like me you may have a hard time de-stressing, especially if you are someone who is constantly on the go, always doing something. It can be hard to set aside free time in college when you have two exams, a paper, and four online assignments due by the end of the week. We have all been there. Trust me when I say you need to take a study break and relax. Below are a few suggestions I have that will give you that perfect recharge boost you need to get through the week. (These can all be done in 30 minutes or less!)

Meditate

If you have never meditated before try signing up for a class at your local gym/recreational facility. This will guide you to help find that inner peace. For my at home learners, look on YouTube or Spotify to find a peaceful/background sounds playlist. Turn off the lights, lay down, and let your thoughts slip from your mind, focusing on your breathing. My friend Lindsey suggested that I try meditation with her and now we do this weekly; whether it’s for ten or fifty minutes it is 100% worth it.

Go to a Yoga Class

Similar to the meditation class try signing up for a yoga class or find a tutorial on YouTube. This incorporates different body postures, while focusing on your breathing. Yoga is not for everyone but many find this soothing and calming. Practice makes perfect.

Workout

Many people choose not to go to the gym (which is perfectly okay). However, for some people burning off energy is great way to clear your thoughts and release your mind from worry.

Watching TV

Netflix or Hulu? The answer is YES. Watch that new TV show trending on Twitter. Re-watch the movie you have seen a hundred of times. Do not watch binge watch but one or two can help relieve some built up stress.

Indulge in your Favorite Sweet Treat

Whether this means grabbing your go-to Starbucks drink, making hot tea, or eating ice cream (my personal favorite) treat yourself.

Take a Hot Shower

Dorm and apartment bathrooms will never compare to the ones at home but turn up the hot water and they will do the job just fine. This is a perfect way to decompress after a long day. Try using a lavender scented body wash to help relax you before bed.

Do a Facemask

Who doesn’t love being pampered every now and then? Try doing a facemask or perhaps a pore strip. This can be done with a friend or your roommate(s) too, leaving your face feeling refreshed and allowing you to spend some time with your friends.

Rest

If you take away anything from this article this is it. Find time to relax. Take the power nap after class. Go to bed at nine on a Friday night because you can.

At the end of the day do what is best for you and your mental health. It is always okay to separate time aside for yourself, especially to de-stress. If that means taking a mental health day do it. Do whatever it takes to be the best version of yourself.

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!
Contributor account for Illinois State