This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Let’s face it, we’ve probably all been in a rut before. Whether it’s because school is literally draining you or work seems to have taken over your entire life, we’ve all felt stuck at least once in our lives! I myself have felt like this before and always struggled figuring out ways to get myself out of it. This problem has been especially prevalent during my first year of college, and with finals approaching fast, I think it’s important to share the strategies I’ve used to help me out of the sucky feeling of being stuck.

1. Embrace the Mess 

Constantly thinking about the things you could have done better can prevent you from progressing. After all, we can’t be perfect 100% of the time. Embracing yourself, mistakes and all, can help you move forward with your life. Sometimes the messy stuff in life can end up being the best things that ever happened to you! 

2. Take Time to Relax 

When you’re constantly going and never giving yourself a break, it can make you feel like you’re not moving forward! Taking time to yourself, whether it’s treating yourself to ice cream or going to a yoga class, can make you feel refreshed and ready to take on anything that comes your way. So, take that bubble bath! Drink that glass of wine! Do whatever makes youhappy. 

3. Paint a Vision to Work Towards

Sometimes we lose sight of what/why we want to do the things we’ve set our minds to. Refresh your mind by setting small goals to accomplish and truly painting a vision for yourself. Having goals for yourself is always a good way to get out of a rut! 

4. Journal, Journal, Journal 

Sounds simple, but it’s so true! Writing down your feelings, goals, or even just your favorite quote is a great way to truly empty your mind. Going back and reading what you wrote is a great way to discover yourself, too. It’s a great way to track your progress and get away from the craziness happening and truly focus on your mental health for a little bit.

5. Try Something New 

Sometimes, the best thing to do when we’re feeling “stuck” is to try something you never thought you’d ever do. Whether it’s something simple like trying a new food you thought you’d hate or going for that cute haircut, being spontaneous is a fun way to get out of your own head. Say yes to new experiences and try not to be afraid to do the unexpected! 

6. Talk to Someone 

Don’t bottle up your emotions! People aren’t meant to handle all of their problems completely on their own. Taking the time to reach out to someone, whether it be a friend or family member, can help you evaluate your problems and come up with solutions!

7. Cut Yourself Some Slack

A lot of the time, we’re too hard on ourselves which leads us to feeling “stuck”. Striving for perfection all of the time is going to make you exhausted. Do what you can to the best of your ability and always tell yourself “I’m doing my absolute best and that’s all I can do!”. With this attitude in mind, you’ll be set! 

Ruts can be hard and challenging, especially during your college years. If you feel like you’re just going through the motions of everyday life, try these strategies to add a little more spark back into your life! Keeping these ideas in mind will not only help you crush your finals, but also help you have the best summer! 

HCXO,

Alyssa 

Alyssa Ginzburg

Illinois State '22

Hi! I'm Alyssa Ginzburg and I'm a Senior at ISU & I'm studying Middle Level Education! I love writing, fashion, and all things women empowering, which makes Her Campus the perfect environment to share my voice! Check out my Instagram and Twitter if you want to know more! :) Instagram: @alyssaginzburg Twitter: @AlyssaRhea1
Contributor account for Illinois State