Kayla Bacon-Carefree Fall 2
Kayla Bacon-Carefree Fall 2
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Very easily do I find myself falling into a routine of making each day seem like a “to do” list. Whether it’s a literal copy of things I have to do each day or a list in my head that I mentally mark an X through when a task is complete. It seems like most people around me are rushing through their day too until they can finally say their list is finished, go to bed, and do it all over again the next day! In one of my classes (HSC 207 for ISU students, highly recommend) my professor talked about the importance of remembering to continuously incorporate gratitude into our daily lives, and the effects it can have on people’s physical and emotional health. Here is a small list of simple ideas on how to implement gratitude into your life! 

1. Tell Someone 

Tell someone…and not over text! Make your intentions more meaningful by writing a handwritten letter and mailing it, calling someone, or even telling them in person. Reminding people how important they are to you, or the positive impact they make on your life can turn someone else’s day around completely, and show them that their kindness hasn’t gone unnoticed. 

2. Pause 

Set a reminder on your phone and take 2-5 minutes out of your daily routine to drop what you’re doing, pause, and think of just three things you’re grateful for. It can be specific to that day or just in general. This takes minimal effort and not a lot of time, and it’s amazing how those few minutes can have a significant impact on your mindset for the rest of the day! 

3. Write it down 

This is an idea that a lot of people I know have implemented into their nighttime routine and absolutely love. Instead of mindlessly scrolling through your phone, or watching TV, you can take out a journal and write down a small list of things you were grateful for that day. Even if you thought your day was awful, it’s a lot easier to pick out the bad stuff instead of the good. This is a great reminder that there is always something to be grateful for each day. 

4. Spread it 

Gratitude is recognizing your appreciation for people, but also being able to return it. Simple acts of kindness like choosing to compliment two random people you walk by or paying for the person behind you in the drive-through at Starbucks can remind the people around you that there is always kindness to give and receive! 

This world can seem mean and scary most days, but finding small gaps to fill with kindness, and remembering to continuously show gratitude is a small task that makes a huge impact!

Allie Nowak

Illinois State '22

Editor-in-chief for Her Campus at Illinois State University.
Contributor account for Illinois State