This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Let’s be honest… we’ve all dealt with our fair share of friendship breakups. Whether it was a slow distancing from your high school bestie or a messy fight, it’s something we will all go through at some point in our lives. I, myself, have dealt with a few friendship breakups over the years, so I compiled a list of tips to help you get through the rough patch that is a friendship breakup.

1. Confide in a good friend

The people that are going to help you get through this friendship breakup are the friends you want to keep by your side. Confide in them. Tell them when you’re struggling, sad, or angry. I know that my best friend was the only person who got me through my tough friendship breakup.

2. Don’t backtrack

It can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel occasionally, but this friendship breakup happened for a reason. Try not to doubt your decision and keep moving forward in the right direction.

3. Make sure to take care of yourself!

Grieving a friendship is no small feat. Make sure you are practicing self-care every day, but especially when you are going through a friendship breakup. So take that bubble bath, do a face mask and allow yourself to just spend a day binging your favorite Netflix show.

4. Acknowledge that some friendships just don’t last forever

When you’re friends with someone, it’s hard to imagine your life without them. However, it’s completely normal that some friendships just aren’t meant to last for the rest of your life and that’s okay!

5. Continue to learn and grow

Sometimes the best thing we can do after a friendship breakup is acknowledging our wrongdoings, learn from them and grow from that experience. At the end of the day, this is going to make you a better friend in your future friendships.

I know a friendship breakup can be tough. At the end of the day, a lot of things are out of your control. Sometimes it’s better to accept it and try to move on the best you can. Speaking from experience, my friendship breakup helped me grow as a person in so many ways. Follow these tips and I’m sure the same will happen to you.

HCXO,

Alyssa

Alyssa Ginzburg

Illinois State '22

Hi! I'm Alyssa Ginzburg and I'm a Senior at ISU & I'm studying Middle Level Education! I love writing, fashion, and all things women empowering, which makes Her Campus the perfect environment to share my voice! Check out my Instagram and Twitter if you want to know more! :) Instagram: @alyssaginzburg Twitter: @AlyssaRhea1