Molly Peach-Binoculars
Molly Peach-Binoculars
Molly Peach / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Unfortunately, 2020 has been full of changes since COVID-19 hit the United States. With that being said, make sure to look at the positives. Yes, our everyday lives have changed and there is a new “normal.” However, use this time as an opportunity for reflection.

Socially, things were and are changing. Students were moved off campus unexpectedly and did not get the chance to say bye to friends. Classes were abruptly transitioned online. Teachers had to quickly adjust and change their curriculum. Parents had to make sacrifices. People suffered from financial hardships and sickness. Communications were done electronically. There was a lot of uncertainty (and there still is).

Life is not always fair, which is why finding the joys each day is super important (especially when there is a period of hardship). Whether its walking outdoors when the sun is shining or realizing your favorite movie is playing on tv, appreciate the little things. Maybe its the freshly brewed coffee smell in the morning or the stranger at the grocery store who held the door open for you. Whatever it may be, recognize that there is always something to be grateful for.

Many people typically reflect around Thanksgiving, but perhaps this should be done more often. My suggestion would be to write down three things you are grateful for in a journal each day. You would be surprised at what moments you enjoy the most and realize how many there are to choose from. A few ways to show your gratitude to others are to tell your friends you love them, call your grandparents, make a meal for your family, or send a letter to someone you are thinking about. Not only will you feel great but perhaps you can make someone else’s day a little brighter.

Take a minute to step back. Reflect on what is happening in your life right now. Learn about what is going on where you live. Make your own educated opinion. Spend time with the people who make you feel alive. Appreciate your health, both physically and mentally. Be thankful for those who support you. Most importantly, be grateful for what you have. If you try to be optimistic and truly acknowledge the good, I guarantee you will feel better even on your bad days.

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!
Contributor account for Illinois State