ISU Spanish Club presents Active Feet Zumba Fundraiser

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The Illinois State Spanish club will be hosting a Zumba night on Feb. 19 in hopes of raising money to send Shoes That Grow to children in need in Panama.

The club has cleverly named this event “Active Feet” and is hoping that ISU students and community members alike will join in on this fun night for a good cause. The Zumba night will take place in the The Activity Room in the Bowling and Billiards Center on this Friday from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. There is a donation fee of five dollars for entrance with all proceeds going to help the club buy as many pairs of shoes as possible.

You may be asking yourself, but what are Shoes That Grow exactly? Well they are literally…wait for it…shoes that grow! The shoes come in two sizes, small and large, and each can be adjusted up to five sizes. These adjusters along with the shoes durable material ensure that each shoe lasts up to five years. Making these shoes ideal for children and teens who suffer years with the same pair of unfitting shoes due to their circumstances.

The ISU Spanish Club is so invested in this cause because the club’s faculty advisor Marinelly Castillo will be personally taking the shoes to an orphanage in Panama during spring break.

I spoke to some of the members of the club and they are ready to help out others and get a good workout in at the same time.

“I’m so excited about this Zumba event! Not only can you get some exercise, you can also raise money to help children in need.” –The club’s secretary Kristina McCormick

“Super stoked about attending this event! I’m so looking forward to getting my groove on!” -Lindsey Figueroa 

“Zumba night is always fun and it feels good to be helping others!” –Kenny Reinosa

The club’s president Marcy Olague says that this event is the best way to burn calories while having fun and making new friends while also supporting a great RSO and an even better cause.

The club is looking forward to dancing the night away and hopes that anyone interested in helping will show their support by joining them.

You can visit theshoesthatgrow.org to learn more about the shoes or contact the ISU Spanish Club if you have any questions or concerns about the event. 

Contributor account for Illinois State