self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

How Therapy Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

In under a year, I have gone from being an “I don’t need therapy” person to an “everybody should go to therapy” person. And it started with me just getting myself to go.

I always wanted to go to therapy but never prioritized my mental health. It was always something I pushed to the back of my mind, but when COVID hit I knew I had to make a change and finally address how I’d been feeling.

Sometimes, therapy is the best part of my week, and I’m not ashamed to admit that. The relief of being able to just vent to an unbiased figure is unlike anything else.

I’m sure I don’t have to sit here and write out all the misconceptions and stereotypes of going to therapy.

People think those who go to therapy are crazy. People think therapy is a waste of time. Some people even think mental illness/health/treatment doesn’t exist.

Newsflash: mental illness does exist, therapy can be extremely beneficial and everyone should go to therapy…even the “happiest” people.

Before I get into how wonderful my therapy experience has been, I want to address that not everyone has the perfect first try. Something I’ve heard from many people is that you have to find the right therapist. Often finding the right one is like going through the dating process—you typically won’t get there on the first try.

Luckily, my therapist and I connect in ways that make it easy for me to open up and our conversations have been great. At first, I was anxious and terrified to go into the sessions. (It’s not going to be easy at first!) I’ve grown to become more and more comfortable. She’s become the kind of outlet that I always wished I had as a kid.

I can’t imagine my life without therapy being a part of my weekly routine. Not even because it has helped me through some hardships and healings. But because learning about myself emotionally is a journey, one that I can’t believe I didn’t hold to the same importance beforehand.

Therapy has given me the ability to track my life better. Suddenly, I can correlate how something as simple as drinking water affects my mood. Or what activities bring me joy, or how I am productive. I am learning what makes me tick, and that wasn’t even something I considered before. I am taking care of myself in ways I didn’t know were possible.

Everyone should go to therapy because we all have room to grow and water ourselves, by being reflective, introspective and learning about yourself.

There are factors, obviously, that make the phrase “everybody should go to therapy” easier said than done. Starting with the fact that not everyone can afford therapy. Some people are not emotionally ready for therapy. Some people don’t have the resources to get there.

There are moments I’m sitting in therapy and I wish more than anything I could turn back the clock and give this outlet to 8-year-old me. Or 12-year-old me. I wish every kid had a person that could devote their time to being an outlet outside of their homes. Teachers are also amazing in that way.

I’ve recently made it a personal goal to incorporate encouraging therapy into my future career, however that may work. I want to be an advocate for more and more people to have the ability to receive therapy. I also want to find ways to make therapy more normalized, and for people to want to go whenever they feel ready.

xo

Sophie

Sophie Dominguez

Illinois State '23

Junior at Illinois State University majoring in English & Public Relations! Follow me on Insta @sophieannadominguez <3