This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If I could describe my motivation at this point in the semester, it would closely resemble the amount of motivation my cat has to fetch for his treats for the 7th time in a row; it’s not happening.

At this point in the semester, you might be as burnt as toast when it comes to focusing on pretty much anything. Work is a hassle, midterm exams have come and gone and the motivation you had at the beginning of the semester has flown the coop! What now? After midterm exams, everyone is barely getting over the pressure, deadlines, and the chaos, just to realize we still have seven weeks left. This is the time to revamp your motivation and finish the semester out strong. Here are some tips that help me and others stay motivated after midterm exams:

1. Keep up with your calendar

Consistency is KEY. Having daily, weekly and monthly reminders is beneficial. It takes some weight off of your shoulders of having to remember every task you need to get done. Get colorful! Make using a calendar a fun habit. Sticky notes, highlighters and markers will do just the trick!

2. Ask yourself: Are there any efforts you can make to improve your grade in class? 

Make the effort to ask your professor what other opportunities there are to bump up your grade. Double and triple check that all assignments and projects have been completed thus far for the semester.

3. Change up your schedule

Sticking to the same schedule could be burning you out. Change it up! Try adding in a nap sometime during the week, or a cardio session. Try a new restaurant that you haven’t tried before. You can even try changing your study habits.

4. Sometimes, midterm grades are exactly the wakeup call you need to get focused as the end of the semester is quickly approaching!

If your grades aren’t looking so hot, ask yourself why things aren’t working out. Are you sleeping enough? Are you understanding the material you’re learning? What areas are you struggling with?

5. Remind yourself that you’re half-way done! What else is left?

Make a list of all of the assignments you have left for a particular course and I guarantee that you will feel relieved seeing how much you’ve done and how little you have left to do!

6. FINISH STRONG!

You’ve come this far, why not keep going? See this semester through with a positive outlook. If you can conquer those first seven weeks, at this point you can do anything.

Arielle Steward

Illinois State

Hey guys! My name is Arielle and I am a sophomore at Illinois State University majoring in Public Relations! (Holler to my PR Girls!) Demi Lovato is my life guru and hero. I listen to ALL types of music! I am very proud of my culture being African American, Puerto Rican and Polish, and love to express it in any way I can!
Contributor account for Illinois State