How to Conquer the Sleep Revolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Throughout their college career, students endure a number of responsibilities. With the countless exams, early morning classes, and never-ending due dates, college students forget to pay attention to one of the most important things: sleep.

Arianna Huffington (editor-in-chief, president, and co-founder of the Huffington Post) wrote The Sleep Revolution, a novel dedicated to the scientific mysteries of sleep. Huffington reveals the incredible importance of sleep and how lack of it impacts our daily lives. “From the moment we’re born untiil the moment we die, we’re in a relationship with sleep,” Huffington said. She goes on to say, “I wrote The Sleep Revolution to examine this ancient, essential, mysterious phenomenon from all angles, and to explore the ways we can use sleep to help regain control over our out-of-kilter lives.” Huffington writes about everything sleep related from the what not to dos and what to dos, dreams, nightmares, sleep disorders, and the science of sleep.

In order to get a good night’s rest, Huffington compiled a list of sleeping tips:

1. Keep your bedroom dark, quiet and cool.

2. No electronic devices starting 30 minutes before bedtime.

3. Don’t charge your phone next to your bed.

4. No caffeine after 2 p.m.

5. Your bed is for two things: sleep and sex.

6. No pets on the bed. 

7. Take a hot bath… to help calm your mind and body.

8. Pajamas, night dresses, and special t-shirts send a sleep-friendly message to your body.

9. Do some light stretching, deep breathing, yoga, or meditation to help your body and mind transition to sleep.

10. Do not do anything work-related. So if you’re reading in bed, read a real book or an e-reader that does not emit blue light.

11. Drink a cup of chamomile, lavender, or caffeine-free tea.

12. Before bed, write a list of what you’re grateful for. It’s a great way to make sure you go to bed on a happy note.

Click here to get a copy of Arianna Huffington’s The Sleep Revolution!

Check out Arianna Huffington’s Twitter for more updates on her book and book tour!

Raquel Ugalde

Illinois State

Public Relations major at Illinois State University. Chapter Correspondent for Her Campus Illinois State University.