Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Gifts To Get Your Significant Other For Valentine’s Day That Aren’t Chocolate and Flowers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Whether you are single, in a “kind of a thing but not officially” situation, or in a committed relationship, I think we can agree that Valentine’s Day sneaks up on all of us. For those in relationships of any kind know that shopping for Valentine’s Day gifts for our sig’ other can sometimes be difficult and lead to us simply buying the same thing every year: A Hallmark card, flowers, chocolates in the red box, and a stuffed animal of some sort that always seem to say “Kiss Me” or “Be My Valentine”. While those gifts are always appreciated and given out of love, sometimes it is nice to switch it up. Here are five alternative gifts that are simple to attain, easy on your wallet, and will make an even bigger impact to the person that makes Valentine’s Day not just a holiday. For those who are single, treat yourself to a Valentine’s Day of your own with these gifts!

Fuzzy Socks

I will argue forever that fuzzy socks can be worn by everyone, no matter how manly you think you are. In addition, I have not met a single girl who opposes a good pair of fuzzy socks. There is something about putting on comfortable, soft, and warm socks that makes the process of getting off of the couch an actually doing something so much more worth it. Not to mention, they come in different designs so you will probably be able to find them with Valentine’s Day pattern. There are also fuzzy socks with lotions or aloe infused into them, making your feet softer by simply wearing them. Typically, fuzzy socks can be found in most stores and range in price from $1 to $15, depending on the brand and quality. (I found Valentine’s Day socks at Target for $1 *hint hint*).

Bath Sets

I can guarantee soap and lotion sets would make anyone excited, because who doesn’t like to smell good? My personal favorite soaps and lotions are from Bath & Body Works, because you can mix and match different scents or buy the complete set, from shower gel all the way to hand sanitizer. B&BW always has some kind of a sale or coupon out, so keep your eyes open because it can sometimes get pricey if you aren’t paying attention to how much you are loading into that blue tote bag they hand you—I know from experience. Plus, they carry a men’s section as well! If your significant other isn’t picky about particular scents, Ulta Beauty also carries a line of bath products that smell just as amazing and are slightly cheaper in price.

Phone Cases

Getting a cute phone case makes a difference, okay?! When I have a new phone case on my phone—one that doesn’t have scratches on it, with edges are peeling off, and discoloration from wear—I feel better. Not only is my phone better protected, but I don’t feel as self-conscious when I’m having to constantly adjust how my phone sits in the case. Phone cases also show personality—pick out the one that suits your significant other the best! If you really want to ride on this electronic accessory idea, grab a pop socket or card holder to put on the back of the case. I know from personal use that the card holder does, in fact, come in quite handy if you are wondering.

Wine Glasses

I obviously recommend this gift to only those who are of the legal drinking age, however, I guess you can put non-alcoholic beverages in these as well. Whether you are at dinner or simply having a wine night with the girls, I have found that everyone loves a good glass that they can drink their favorite wine out of. Personally, I prefer stemless wine glasses—if you are accident-prone like me, it is the safer way to go. Typically, you can find specialty wine glasses on websites such as Etsy, however, prices can range from expensive to really expensive. My opinion? Purchase plain wine glasses and make it a date night by decorating them together. Then, buy their favorite wine and watch a movie.

Photos & Picture Frames

This may be one of the easiest and most personal ways to buy your significant other a gift. I know for me personally, I love printing pictures and hanging them around my apartment because no one else can buy them—unless they make copies. Also, they mean the most to those in the picture. You can go to any drug store or super center to print pictures for sometimes as low as ten cents per picture. Picture frames can be a little more expensive depending on the kind and qualities you want it to have. Most times, when I want something like this personalized, I go on Shutterfly because their shipping is quick and it is not as expensive as Etsy. If you are feeling crafty, buy a plain frame from a local craft store and decorate it yourself. From there, put your choice picture in and place a bow on it. I guarantee they will love it.

All of these gifts can be easily found in places such as Wal-Mart, however, branded gifts such as Bath & Body Works can only be found in their store. If you really want to show the love this Valentine’s Day, buy all of these as a gift basket. While a Hallmark card, chocolates, flowers, and a stuffed animal are still kind and completely acceptable gifts, reach a little further by checking out the ones I just listed. You would be surprised how little things go a long way.

Have the loveliest of Valentine’s Days and happy shopping!

Meara Walsh

Illinois State '20

Hello! My name is Meara. I am currently a Senior at Illinois State University, majoring in Fashion Merchandising. I enjoy anything and everything fashion and style related, so the majority of my articles will be based upon such. I love writing because it allows me to express myself freely and shows off parts of my personality. In my free time, I like to assemble trend boards, scroll through Pinterest, hang out with friends, and play with my cat. While at school, I am in a sorority, the President of the Fashion Design and Merchandising Association, and a Student Ambassador. Please enjoy reading my articles!