This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Okay ladies, it’s finally here – Fifty Shades Freed is going to be released this Valentine’s Day – so get in line! Don’t even try to say the Fifty Shades series isn’t your guilty pleasure – every girl has a “sexual fantasy”. (I’ll admit, I am right there in that category.) Of course nobody wants to talk about how they have these “sexual fantasies” because it’s awkward, but it’s also not a bad thing to have. It’s human nature and totally okay for a woman to have sexual thoughts or “dreams” of doing romantic things to someone or having them done to you. I mean, it’s the reason we go to Victoria’s Secret to buy lingerie. Not just because it’s on sale or because it makes us feel sexy when we wear it – which, of course, it does – but because you also want someone to see it!

The Fifty Shades series isn’t just about the sexual pleasures going on behind the closed doors of the “Red Room” (if you have seen the movies, you know what I mean) – although everyone thinks it is. It’s the overall storyline that hooks everyone. I know we could do without the “cheesy” romance, kinky line exchanges from the characters, Mr. Grey and Ana, and that they could also leave you questioning the series.  

But I also know we can see ourselves within Dakota Johnson’s character Anastasia Steele. She’s awkward in situations she’s unfamiliar with – especially if it involves having a conversation with a “Christian Grey”. Many of us would also trip over our words, get lost in his eyes, let our eyes travel over his body and blush to the point where it takes over your face and you can feel that you’re burning up – all as you’re trying not to make any of it noticeable, which just makes you even more flustered. If this hasn’t happened to you, congrats to you, but if it has, I understand and feel your pain. Anastasia, throughout the trilogies, does become more of a risk taker when it comes to trying new things (not going to give any spoilers,) but she remains respectful and shy in ways as well – and I know we have all tried new things that are out of our comfort zones.

We ladies have also never met a guy like Christian Grey. Even if you don’t like Christian, you can’t deny that his qualities of masculinity, money, brains, mysteriousness and thoughtfulness make him very intriguing, sexy and attractive! Of course, most women have their own “special someone” that they have a crush on, are married to or are dating at the moment, with multiple reasons as to why you two are together. But a girl has to have a dream that’s different to real life – it’s like our romantic escape from reality! There’s a reason why, in every romantic novel or movie, they always include that one guy, because in reality (sorry, guys) he doesn’t exist. But women still need them in their lives – hence the fantasy. 

As women, we are drawn to the topic of love and everything that goes into it because, well, we’re girls! From the first book, Fifty Shades of Grey, we got to re-experience how we felt the very first time we fell in love. We got to feel that tingle of emotions again. Sometimes as you get older, or if you’re already in a long term relationship, you just need to remember and experience those feelings again to make you light up, even if it didn’t happen to you personally. If you are single, sometimes it’s good to feel and see those feelings again or for the very first time!

Sometimes we need romance in our lives, no matter if it’s through a book, movie, a TV show or actually being in love. It’s how we are psychologically built, and that’s okay, because there’s nothing wrong with having a little “fantasy” to bring excitement to your life!

You can find Meghan at the nearest mall dealing with her major shopaholic problem either coming out of a nearby Forever 21 or Pink. Meghan is from the the Northwest Chicago suburbs and is a senior with a Psychology major. She transferred to Illinois State University last year from Roosevelt University in Chicago and has loved every minute here at ISU! Meghan has always had a strong passion for writing and was super excieted when she got accepted in to the Her Campus Womens Magazine at ISU. She can't wait to see what's instore for her for the rest of the year while being a writer, and currently the Events Director, for the HC team!
Contributor account for Illinois State