Career

Fashion Feature: Amy McCaslin & Sassy Scrunchies Co.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Scrunchies have been an evergreen trend since the 1980’s and 90’s. Due to the influx of nostalgic culture we’ve seen coming back in recent years… scrunchies are coming back! They’re are both a fun and simple accessory that serves two important functions; they’re a simple way to spice up your outfits, and they keep your hair out of your face! We sat down with ISU senior and fashion major Amy McCaslin who has started up her own scrunchie company and even added a creative twist on the everyday hair tie – Check it out below!

What is Sassy Scrunchie Co.?

“Over the summer of 2019, I wanted to sell some old clothing. However, I found that most of the clothes were not really fashionable anymore because they were outdated. I was always into repurposing my clothing, and I noticed that scrunchies were really trendy so I started making tons of scrunchies! I first started selling these to my friends on Instagram. This went really well, so I decided to start a dedicated scrunchie page on Instagram, and then this led to me making apple watch scrunchies and later on zipper scrunchies. Eventually, I created a website soon. I currently hand sew all of my scrunchies out of recycled material and sell them through my online website: sassyscrunchies.net.”

Has fashion always been your passion?

“I have always loved the show Project Runway. It inspired me to start down a path of Fashion Design. Watching it helped me explore my creative side. I started to get good at sewing a couple of years ago, and since then I have created different fashion designs for my clothing. I was a fashion designer in the Illinois State Fashion show for the past 2 years and had an absolute blast doing it, I met a lot of cool people along the way. If you’re a fashion major at ISU definitely sign up for that in the spring!”

Amy’s Designs from ISU Fashion Show: “Taste of Asia”

What is your best advice for college women looking to start their own business?

“Just do it! I was toying with the idea for about a month before I realized, what do I have to lose? Do not let others discourage you, now is the time in your life where you can afford to take some risks. Starting a business is easier now than ever through the power of social media. You do not have to invest a ton of money to start a small business. Let the world know what you have to offer!”

Amy’s Top 5 Fashion Tips For College Women: 

1. A scrunchie is a great accessory with ANY outfit.

2. Everyone should own a white/black tee shirt! 

3. If you use a rubber band to hold your keys during a night out, now you don’t have to! My Zipper Scrunchie will hold your keys and money, it’s also a great product for the gym.

4. Got a cute dress but nowhere to wear it? Pair it with some skinny jeans by tucking the dress into the jeans, thereby showing off the top of the dress. This makes a great downtown outfit!

5. Take a basic sewing class! This will help you so much in the long run. Seriously! You won’t regret it.

Follow SassyScrunchiesCo!

Instagram: @sassyscrunchies_co

Facebook: @Sassyscrunchies_co

Twitter: @sassyscrunchies_co

Website: sassyscrunchies.net

HCXO,

Mia

Mia Riddell

Illinois State '20

Mia Riddell is an aspiring magazine journalist at Illinois State University who is passionate about capturing details of people's lives with captivating writing and storytelling. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus ISU. Her interests include reading romance novels, listening to Harry Styles, writing anything and everything, volunteering whenever she can, and spending time with friends and family. Follow along Mia’s college journey and stay tuned for more articles!