This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I have dealt with anxiety and various mental health issues most of my life. However, I’ve noticed that they have definitely been amplified since the beginning of this pandemic. Anxiety is something everyone deals with at some point in their lives; whether you’re anxious about an upcoming assignment, or anxiety takes over your day to day life. As someone who has dealt with anxiety, both higher and lower levels, I thought I’d give you some tips on how to handle anxiety in the middle of a pandemic.

Don’t bottle it up

A lot of us tend to bottle up all of our feelings and emotions because we don’t want to burden others with our problem. I know I’m definitely guilty of this bad habit, but don’t do it! Talk it out. Talk with your mom, your dad, your roommate, your bestie, anyone! I guarantee you there is someone out there that will always listen to you. If you bottle it up, your anxiety will continue to grow and you will burst. 

Talk to your doctor 

I was very hesitant to talk to my doctor about my specific issues, but once I did I felt so much better. The best thing about this pandemic is telephone doctor visits. I can talk to my doctor from the comfort of my own home! It’s important to be vocal about things going on, but especially with your doctor. 

Take some time to breathe

Take some time out of your day to take a deep breath and focus on yourself. Whether it’s a simple 15 seconds or 15 minutes, you will end up feeling rejuvenated and ready to take on the rest of the day.

Journal your feelings

If you have time, write down your feelings in a journal! There are journals out there that you can be specifically for people with anxiety. I’ve always wanted to try one! Click this link for Parade’s guide to the best anxiety journals! 

Find something to fidget with

Something I’ve struggled with is always picking at my nails and cuticles when I’m anxious. Sometimes my hands end up looking like a war zone. I’ve noticed that when I find something to fidget with, it tends to happen less. Click this link to find a stylish fidget ring that has been known to help people with anxiety! 

Anxiety is hard. Especially in the midst of something that is causing people a lot of anxiety in general. I’ve taken some time to reflect over the course of the pandemic, which has also helped me. I want to spread awareness of anxiety and help others find healthy coping mechanisms as well! Stay strong. Keep fighting. We can beat this together! 

HCXO, 

Alyssa

Alyssa Ginzburg

Illinois State '22

Hi! I'm Alyssa Ginzburg and I'm a Senior at ISU & I'm studying Middle Level Education! I love writing, fashion, and all things women empowering, which makes Her Campus the perfect environment to share my voice! Check out my Instagram and Twitter if you want to know more! :) Instagram: @alyssaginzburg Twitter: @AlyssaRhea1
Contributor account for Illinois State