This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s that time of year where you can hear the ghosts going boo, the turkey gobbling, the site of sale signs being posted everywhere and the sound of sleigh bells in the air. It is also that time of year that majority of us seem to get the blues. I’m talkin’ tis the season for Seasonal Depression. This time of year is a bit difficult for some, since the overall aura and vibe of the seasons changing affect our emotions and the way we function. Here are some ways to combat these seasonal blues.

Knitting

Knitting is a very patient calming mechanism. Sometimes we just need to learn to sit and think things through. Sometimes we need to take deep breaths and just take the time out to think about all the great things that we have in life. During all that knitting, you might even be able to make yourself a scarf and come out of it with a clear and sound mind. Knitting is also a very great skill to learn, helping brain growth and the slowing down of onset Alzheimer’s.

Journaling 

Sometimes just writing on a piece a paper and pouring your heart out truly helps. Some things you could write about are how your day was, what triggered this wave of emotions, or even something that makes you happy. Writing it all down and trashing it can really help you get out all that you need to. Another thing you can very much write about are goals that you have for the future, keeping and documenting your journal entries. Continue to make future plans and looking forward. Seeing these things on paper may even give you hope to keep going and continuing on with those future plans that you have.

Walking

Although it may be chilly outside, there may also be a local gym (The Rec Center) nearby. Go and walk around the track for a little bit. This forces you to get out of bed and drag yourself to do some activity. Although you may feel like pooh, this wakes your body up out of that sleepy state, helping you think clearly and rationally about a lot of decisions. If you walk outside, there is justifiable research that it helps with seasonal depression due to the exposure of natural sunlight.

Counseling

If you are unsure of how you feel or why you have these feelings of sadness, you need to contact your local counseling services. Sometimes talking through how you feel can help you find the root of the issue on why you may feel the way that you do. Furthermore, you can get a lot more help from another perspective on some issues that may come up throughout the season. Although sometimes you may feel like you have it under control, we all can benefit from a little help. Research your local counseling services and reach out, even when you’re in a good mood, just as a safety net for when things get tough again. Remember, you are never alone.

Music

Music can actually be your therapy. So many good feeling songs can turn your emotions upside down, making you totally forget why you felt the way that you did before. Also, during a time of sadness, people tend to get a bit messy. The most relieving thing is to open your eyes and begin to pick up the things that you have thrown around for the past week. Cleaning can really take some of the pressure off of your shoulders. Just being in an overall clean space really lets you think clearly and take deep breaths of fresh air. It also motivates you to do more productive things, breaking you out of this shell of misery.

Although this season may bring some blues to some of our fellow redbirds, this is a time full of holiday cheer and the season love. There are many things to look at for hope. Take some of these tips to help you conquer your Seasonal Depression and always remember to communicate. There are plenty of resources that can help you get through this dreary season. You don’t have to do it alone, Xoxo.

Raniyah Naylor

Illinois State '23

I am an 18 year old freshman here at Illinois State University. Some of my hobbies include sports, Netflix, and music. I am also a double major in Political Science and Legal Studies, which is why I have taken an liking to journalism. Some things that I love reading about are "How to" and "Things to do when" types of articles. I played sports in my past but now I am just a coffee and tea drinking writing junkie.
Contributor account for Illinois State