Best of Both Worlds: Miley Cyrus on Call Her Daddy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Call Her Daddy is a popular podcast among girls who listen for the juicy gossip, sex advice, and the humor that host Alex Cooper brings to the table. It was taken to the next level recently when she was able to snag one of the most iconic women in music for an interview. Miley Cyrus was first introduced to us as an adorable relatable teen who doubled as a popstar. As she grew up with us, we started to see her true colors starting with her Bangerz album. From there she was able to break away from her disney channel identity and start figuring out what she wanted for herself. Here are 10 juicy details about Miley’s life from her interview on Call Her Daddy. 

Listen to Midnight Sky

First of all, if you have not heard her latest song “Midnight Sky” that was released the same day as this podcast episode, stop reading and go watch her music video NOW. Alex and Miley discuss the song for a bit in the beginning of the episode as Alex was able to watch the video and hear the song BEFORE it was released. Not only is this song a bop, the way it embodies Miley’s spirit is amazing. “I wanted a song that was classic. I wanted a song that felt like it was from the era which I usually pull my inspiration from, but really not being afraid. Really being unapologetic about the tone, the sonics, the lyrics,” Miley said. She came out as pansexual sometime within the last few years. “I think it’s really special having this kind of like anthemic pansexual bisexual anthem of this song that plays with gender roles.” 

Miley feels guilty.

As most of you know, Miley’s dad is Billy Ray Cyrus who was first known for his music career. Miley has had a very privileged life from the beginning, and she knows that. She even says several times she feels guilty about it. Not only because of the opportunities that she was given but because she overall has been able to succeed in whatever she sets her mind to, except for relationships. “I have a lot of guilt. Just since I was little, things have been very easy for me. If I tried something once I could do it, and I know that’s not the same for everybody.” 

Miley’s life is only beginning. 

Because Miley has been very famous since a young age, the traditional path into adulthood was not an option. Alex made the comment that she is finally at a place in her life that she can decide what to do. “I think it’s a really good perspective to say ‘Oh, my life is finally starting now.’ I’m at a point where I get to decide what to do with it. And that’s what you would’ve been doing if you had been spending years in college or as an intern.” 

Miley had a crush on Minnie Mouse. 

Alex asked Miley when she realized she was not only attracted to men. To her surprise, Miley said she was actually attracted to women first and even thought Minnie Mouse was “super hot” when she was 11-years-old. “I ended up on Disney, so my chances with Minnie went up by like a hundred,” said Miley. She went on to add that she always thought the female main characters in movies were hotter. “When I was eleven or twelve my friends started telling me what they were doing with guys and I didn’t really understand it. So, I got most of my girlfriends to hook up with me.” The first time she ever hooked up with someone was with a girl, and they did go past first base. 

Miley married the first guy she hooked up with. 

While she did not name him, it was pretty obvious Miley’s first time was with her ex-husband Liam Hemsworth. “It wasn’t Nick Jonas, but I ended up marrying the guy,” said Miley. The two starred in “The Last Song” in 2010. “I lied and said he wasn’t the first so I didn’t look like a loser,” she added. In a funny anecdote, Miley said she actually told Hemsworth she had hooked up with someone who ended up being close friends with the couple. She eventually had to come clean years later when her fake first hook-up was getting married to one of Liam’s friends. “It was a lie that I hung onto for like 10 years.” 

Miley doesn’t have a type. 

“Someone has to bring more to the table than their plate,” said Miley. Because Miley is so “mega successful”, Alex noted how it must be difficult to date any “normal” people. “I think that’s what ended up making female relationships make more sense to me because the role that I’m in made more sense. Because it’s not going to be like this weird thing that I pay for everything,” said Miley. She also acknowledged that that’s a stereotype too, and she is completely okay with dating a boss b*tch. She said she needs to find a guy that is confident enough to handle her knowing that she can be masculine and strong. 

Miley’s love language is… 

Miley’s love language is acts of service. She hates gifts. “If someone that I’m with tells me, ‘My closet is driving me crazy it’s so unorganized,’ by the time they’re home the next day I’m already done with it.” She said if she was to give or receive a gift, she would rather it be a handmade gift because it shows they care and took time with it. She also likes quality time, emphasis on the quality. “That’s something I really demand now,” Miley said when talking about spending quality time with her partner. 

Miley is a huge list gal. 

Miley loves lists. She says she is very logical and organized. “Lists keep my whole f*cking world on track. My world would be wrecked if I didn’t make lists,” said Miley. She creates lists everyday with her goals for the day and how she will achieve them. She even uses lists when dealing with breakups. “I try not to get lost in the emotion,” said Miley. She also talks about how people might view her as cold if she keeps moving and does not take a long mourning period after a large break up. “The world is going to keep turning,” said Miley. She said to make a list of what you are gaining and what you are losing from the relationship ending. 

Miley controls who flows in and out of her life. 

Miley only looks for partners in certain places. She explained that she currently is looking for someone who is into clean eating and being overall healthy. So, she’s not going to look for someone at the local Burger King. Miley also mentioned how she is living a sober lifestyle and will no longer look for partners at AA meetings because she needs to take care of herself. “Put yourself in places that you’ll be successful,” said Miley. “You can really control the kind of people that are going to flow into your life.” 

Miley’s identity is related to sex more than her sexuality. 

“My identity and who I am as a person is very sexual, and who I am as a sexual person is – maybe I’m like a selfish psycho. Sex is about me in my mind.” Miley said she turns in by what people are contributing to her life, and right now having a sober partner is very sexual to her. “I enjoy sexuality more than I enjoy sex,” said Miley. She also added that she doesn’t deal with foreplay because she would rather get it over with and get back to editing her music. 

If you want to hear even more juicy details about Miley’s life, definitley check out the whole Call Her Daddy podcast episode. 

Annamarie Schutt

Illinois State '21

Annamarie is a senior journalism major. Aside from being the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus ISU, Annamarie also currently reports for TV-10 News and WZND.