This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

We are coming up to almost a year since the world was hit with the COVID-19 outbreak back in March of 2020. This pandemic has taken a toll on many people including jobs, child care, school, events, and so much more. For most of us, we are in our third semester of Zoom University which just means we have been mostly virtual since the pandemic first started. Since everything is mostly canceled, I have struggled to find ways to keep myself entertained while socially distancing in my apartment. Here are a few things that have helped make Zoom University just a little bit easier. 

Art

I have always been an artsy person, but every since I started college, I stopped having time for drawing or sketching for fun. Since Zoom University, I have had a lot more free time with things being canceled, to be able to produce more artwork as I used to in high school. This artwork does not have to be just drawing or sketching. Art comes in many forms like photography, film, painting, and even just making your school notes look more aesthetically pleasing. 

Puzzles

I know what this looks like. I am turning into an old lady who does puzzles for fun. The thing is, THEY ARE SO FUN. Puzzles challenge and get our brains going in so many ways. Dollar Tree sells puzzles, and they are actually good quality and are not the basic 50 piece puzzles for children. They also sell 500 piece puzzles, one of which took me two weeks to finish! 

Journaling

I have mentioned journaling in many of my previous articles, but I cannot stress enough how important and entertaining journaling is. Especially now since we are living through something that will be talked about in our children’s history books, I have tried to write down many important things going on relating to COVID-19, our recent election, and just day to day life in this new “normal” we are living in currently, while also keeping my journal up to date on my personal life. 

Talks with Friends/Family 

I currently live on campus here at Illinois State with three other roommates. They have easily helped keep me entertained when it came to being stuck in the apartment all day. Don’t get me wrong, we can all drive each other nuts sometimes, but it is nice living with people who are going through the same experiences academically wise as you are. Also, my grandma has recently figured out how to use Facebook’s Video Call feature, so it has been so nice to be able to see my grandparents and talk to them, since I have not been able to sit down with them in almost a year now. 

Car Rides or Walks 

Since the weather is getting nicer out, cruising around or taking a walk on Constitution Trail has been a daily activity. For me personally, I have lost all physical build since going into online schooling due to not walking to classes multiple times a day. I have used the Constitution Trail as a way to get outside, get some physical activity in, and also be able to socially distance myself from others. Cruising around with the windows down and the music blasting has always been a therapeutic thing for me. It is something I have been doing since I got my license, and it has been a daily activity when I feel too cooped up in my apartment.  

Binge-Watching a Show

Okay, so I am the type of person that will absolutely refuse to watch or read anything that has hype in the media. Is that weird? The Greatest Showman came out in 2017, and I watched it for the first time last month! I know, I am terrible, but I always think things are overhyped, but I SEE WHY IT WAS HYPED UP BECAUSE IT IS SUCH A GREAT MOVIE. Anyways, television has always provided quality entertainment, and streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Amazon have brought so many great binge-worthy shows to watch. Side note, I heard Strangers Things Season 4 is coming out very soon, so maybe it is time to rewatch seasons 1-3 before the new season?

Those are just some of the ways I have been keeping busy during Zoom University. This is such a weird time in everyone’s lives, and we just need to continuously find things to do that make us happy in order to continue pushing forward during the pandemic. I am hoping for a brighter future for all of us, but for now, we cant still make the best of this new world we are living in. Zoom University has caused a lot of students’ mental health to decline. As always, focus on your mental well-being and reach out to someone if you need anything.

Lot’s of Love, 

Jess

Jessica Hogeboom

Illinois State '22

ISU 2022 | Elementary Education Follow me on Instagram : @jesshogeboom
Contributor account for Illinois State