Emojis Friends Funny Fun Happy Emotions
Emojis Friends Funny Fun Happy Emotions
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

50 Little Things That Make Me Happy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Spring is one of my favorite times of the year. The weather is starting to warm up, the sun starts to come out a little more, the flowers are blooming and it’s also almost my 21st birthday!

I’m not a huge fan of fall or winter because I feel like the weather really puts me in a mood; I never want to do anything because I’m too cold and just want to be wrapped up in a blanket. After spring, summer comes, which is even better, in my opinion. Summer means we get a break from school, we have more time to hang out with friends, and we get to enjoy more time outside. With all that being said, I’ve decided to celebrate the warmer weather by listing 50 little things that give me joy. Sometimes it’s easy to overlook the little things in life when we have so much going on, college can be overwhelming at times. That’s why I think it’s important to take a step back and reflect on what makes you happy, especially after months of dark and cold weather and with finals coming soon. The little things are what keep us going, so in no particular order, here are 50 that help me get through my day.

1. My little puppy, Bear. He tries to protect me from everything he sees outside even though he’s only 10 pounds.
  2. My little sister Ellie who’s nine years old. I miss her a lot when I’m at college—she’s one of the funniest people I know.
  3. A good laugh when you’re having a bad day.
  4. Going outside, even if it’s just a quick trip to the grocery store.
  5. Listening to a song for the first time knowing you’ll probably play it a thousand times over the few months.
  6. Good food! (I personally love a good McDonald’s cheeseburger).
  7. Shaving my legs and showering before bed. The feeling of a blanket afterward is unmatched.
  8. Face masks that don’t make your face break out (not the kind we wear because of COVID).
  9. Seeing someone you know at the grocery store, even if you only have time for a quick wave.
  10. Having a fully charged phone. My phone always seems like it’s dying.
  11. Taking naps or going to sleep after a productive day. I usually sleep a lot better.
  12. Making lists because they help keep me organized.
  13. Random compliments or nice gestures, from strangers or friends.
  14. Watching a really good movie. I just got a projector in my room, and I absolutely love it.
  15. Cool lighting. I love the fairy lights I have, and I also have one of those galaxy lamps that make your ceiling look like the stars.
  16. Watching the clouds because it helps me think creatively and keeps me calm when I get stressed out.
  17. A good cup of coffee. Anything with caramel is my go-to.
  18. Learning something new and interesting, it’s crazy how much we don’t know that other people are experts on.
  19. Cooking and watching cooking videos or shows, I find it relaxing but also inspiring.
  20. Putting on a hoodie after it comes out of the dryer <3
  21. I have a love and hate relationship with painting. It stresses me out while I’m doing it, but I’m usually proud of how it turns out.
  22. Small holidays like President’s Day or Labor Day that you might forget about.
  23. Taking pictures. I’m definitely not a photographer and have never claimed to be, but I like capturing memories.
  24. Sunsets and sunrises, especially when the sky turns pink and purple.
  25. Going to the zoo. I always went with my grandma when we were younger.
  26. Beaches, even if it’s a cold or cloudy day.
  27. Getting a nice tan in the summer. I feel like a whole different person.
  28. Having a good makeup day.
  29. The sound from rain or storms when I’m about to fall asleep.
  30. Family reunions. We haven’t had one in a while because of the pandemic, but hopefully soon!
  31. People sending me funny videos or TikToks.
  32. Getting my nails done, even though my nails get destroyed.
  33. Giving someone a gift or a present.
  34. SQUISHMALLOWS.
  35. Unplanned or last-minute road trips, even if we get lost.
  36. Hugs—especially from people who are good huggers.
  37. Trying something new, even if I end up hating it.
  38. Brushing my teeth with my new fancy toothbrush.
  39. Doing my eyebrows and other people’s eyebrows. I like to think I’m pretty good.
  40. Online shopping when I don’t have to stress about money.
  41. Taking pointless Buzzfeed quizzes, like “Which Friends character are you most like?”
  42. My purple Ugg slippers. They’re purple and really ugly because I got them in middle school, but they’re SO comfy.
  43. Seeing people smile and laugh when I make a joke or tell a story.
  44. Playing the yellow car game with my friends. We get very competitive and into it.
  45. Going to my hometown and having all my childhood memories come back.
  46. The sound of typing on a keyboard. I like when the words just flow out.
  47. Opening my blinds or my window in the morning.
  48. Seeing my friends and family succeed at something they’ve worked really hard on.
  49. Taking off my shoes after a long day.
  50. Fuzzy socks from Dollar Tree. They have some really cute ones AND they stay fuzzy even after they’re washed. I highly recommend it.

Looking back on my list of the little things that make me happy, I realize that I have a lot in life to be thankful and grateful for. The items in the list popped up in my mind very quickly, I could have easily gone on to name a lot more. These little things make me feel motivated to get up out of bed in the morning. You never know what other little things you could enjoy if you don’t put yourself out there in the real world. I challenge everyone reading this to consider some of the things that make your life a little more enjoyable and to try to do some of those things more. A happy mind is the key to success!

Bella Sibenaller

Illinois State '23

Hi, my name is Bella and I'm a junior here at Illinois State. I'm a psychology major, but I'm also going into nursing. At ISU, I am also apart of the National Society for Leadership and Success and currently serve as the social chair. My hometown is Charleston, Illinois. It's a super small town south of ISU. In my free time, I enjoy hanging out with friends and Facetiming my eight year old sister. If you have any questions about Her Campus or any of the other organizations I'm involved in, please reach out! My Instagram is @bellajsib.