This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

When I think of brutal, I think about this winter. Between the polar vortex, below zero wind chills, freezing rain and ALL of the ice, it seems like we may never see an April flower. This gloomy, cold, and overall depressing time of year can take its toll, both physically and mentally. Before you wave the white flag and let the cold claim victory, try these five products to help beat the winter doldrums. 

1. Moisturizer

The number one tip that I swear by when it comes to beauty or self-care is 

M-O-I-S-T-U-R-I-Z-E!!! There is nothing worse than the dry, itchy, patchy feeling of skin in the winter. I moisturize my face twice a day with JERGENS NATURAL GLOW face moisturizer. I love the daily body moisturizer too. I especially like this brand in the winter because the small amount of tanning lotion in the moisturizer helps your skin keep a summer glow!

2. Toothpaste

Now that your skin is beautiful, make sure you have a smile to match! Keeping your teeth healthy and clean is a critical element of any self-care routine. I recently discovered the brand Hello, and their charcoal teeth whitening toothpaste. Not to sound like every generic toothpaste commercial, but I genuinely saw an improvement in my teeth color after just three uses!  This company prides itself on being animal cruelty free, and uses “nice” ingredients, meaning all natural ingredients, with no artificial coloring, flavors, or parabens. 

3.  Facial Cleansers 

To keep my skin clean, clear and soft, I love to use cleansers and facial mists from Mario Badescu. When washing my face in the morning and before bed, I use a small amount of the Glycolic Foaming Cleanser. For a deeper clean, use the Enzyme Cleansing Gel. I like a spray of the Rosewater Facial Mist a few times a day to feel fresh and clean! 

4. Pillow Perfume

This next product isn’t one for your body; it’s for your bed! If you are a college student then you know how dusty dorm rooms can get in the winter. There’s no better feeling than snuggling up in bed after walking around in the cold from class to class all day. Before bed, I like to use a pillow spray, or as I call it my pillow perfume, by Botanical Therapy. It’s infused with essential oils that releases a calming, relaxing smell as well as freshening up your pillows and sheets for a comfortable night’s rest! You can find pillow sprays at Bath and Body Works or Target. 

5. Essential Oils 

Before I went to college, I never used Essential Oils or diffusers. When away from home and staying in a small, compacted dorm room, it can feel stuffy or stressful. I’m obsessed with my new diffuser from Ellia! There are so many different types of essential oils to use. For the winter season, I have loved the “Breathe Easy” or the lavender calming oil to help with the dryness from winter or just help me calm down before heading to bed! 

Self-care is something that should be incorporated in your daily schedule all year round! It’s especially important during the winter months to help beat the blues and avoid getting sick. Whether it’s quickly using a relaxing pillow spray before bed, establishing a facial routine that makes you feel good, or whitening your teeth, it’s important to take good care of yourself! You’re the only you you’ve got!

Allie Nowak

Illinois State '22

Editor-in-chief for Her Campus at Illinois State University.
Contributor account for Illinois State