This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Lockdown, self-quarantine, and online classes. 2020 was a rough year, and it may have been the worst for some people. But it’s time to say good-bye to 2020 and hello to 2021! A new year means a new start. Here are three ways to live smart in 2021!

Set a Real Vision Goal

Setting a real vision goal will keep you motivated. 2020 did not play out as we thought it would, and our new year resolutions were left unfulfilled. To be honest, I don’t even remember the goals I set last year. Even if we tried to set new goals, anxiety haunted us and made them seem useless. But without a goal or dream, how can we motivate ourselves to do anything? Having a vision of the future helps us move forward and take action towards it. So for this year, make sure to set a real vision goal. Not a loose plan like “To exercise more often,” but a more fixed aim like “To run 3 miles every day.” A tip for an effective goal is to set numbers. That way, it becomes easier to reflect and check back on whether you have made an accomplishment or not. 

Make Healthy Choices for a Healthy Mindset

Remote work and online classes have become the new normal, and we spend way more time indoors. With this new lifestyle, most of us spend less time getting sun or doing any exercise. But remember, a healthy body leads to a healthy mindset. Doing some simple stretches or a quick jog around the neighborhood block can make a big difference to both our physical and mental health. Eating fruits instead of candy bars also have the same effect in reducing stress. Let’s make healthy choices to stay happy no matter what! 

No Time to Be Shy! Jump into New Adventures!

We already spent the whole 2020 adapting to the with-corona lifestyle. Now that we know what we can and can’t do in this situation, there is no time to lose! Jump into new fields and try new things! Borrowing the words of Alan Cohen, “Do not wait until the conditions are perfect to begin. Beginning makes the conditions perfect.” Even in such a restricted condition, there is so much that we can do. Nothing will change without a new challenge. Keep your chins up, be positive, and keep marching forward!

We are still in the midst of a pandemic, and there are many things we can’t do. But that doesn’t stop us from enjoying 2021. Let’s make the most out of what we can this year and take back what we left behind in 2020!

Jun Fujii

ICU (Japan) '22

Hi! I'm Jun Fujii, studying anthropology at International Christian University. I love eating, dancing, and walking outside in the sun!
Articles anonymously written by HCICU Contributors.