This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Finals are coming up, and many of us are stressed out. But if we finish this spring semester, summer is right around the corner! Before that, here are four things to remind yourself while going through this finals season.

It’s okay if you didn’t finish all the things that you wanted to do

When we are tight on time, we tend to jot down an unrealistic amount of tasks on our to-do lists. But we are not robots that function 24-hours a day and constantly get things done, so it’s okay if you went through your phone for a couple hours or took an afternoon nap. Just leave your tasks for the next day. 

This isn’t a “life or death” situation

Everyone makes mistakes. Maybe you’ll find yourself making more mistakes than usual, but that doesn’t mean you’re a “failure.” I, too, wish that I never had to make mistakes during work or while studying. But I try to remind myself that I will not die because of that wrong order I made at work or that wrong answer I wrote down during my final exams. As hard as it is, you have to forgive yourself, and work towards the goal of improving.

You are doing your best

Sometimes, you’ll feel like you are not doing your best. Everyone else seems like they have their life together and are ahead of you in every aspect of your life. Maybe you’re right. They might be way ahead of you or they might be struggling in places you don’t know. Regardless, you have to do things at your own pace, fast or slow, and you’ll eventually finish this semester.

Everything will be fine in the end

We are all stressed and exhausted for finals, but we have survived twenty-something years of our lives. You made it alive after those stressful and busy times in the past, so everything will turn out to be all alright this time as well. 

I hope these reminders helped any of you who may be stressed out at the moment, and I hope everything goes well for you. If you are not feeling well mentally and physically, please take a break and rest for some time. And remember to take a deep breath and everything will be perfectly okay. 

Makiko Kawakami

ICU (Japan) '24

Currently studying at International Christian University. She enjoys listening to music and watching Netflix in her free time.