5 Reasons Why You Should Try New Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

In my experience, trying new things can be challenging sometimes because I end up feeling very anxious and nervous when I am put in a new situation. 

But over the years, when I did have enough courage to try something new, I learned that you also happen to learn a lot in the process as well. Here are five reasons why I think it is important to try new things!

You Change for the Better

When you try something new, you gain a new perspective. You meet new people, you experience something you haven’t experienced before, or you just simply get over a fear you’ve had for a long time. When I was about six years old, I hated pumpkins because I thought they were too soggy and they just didn’t fit my palate. Fast forward to when I went to lunch with my friend’s parents and we ordered a pumpkin salad. I thought that it would be rude to refuse to eat it simply because I didn’t like pumpkins. I still remember that I told myself to “just think it’s chicken”. But to my surprise, I loved it. 

Learn More About Yourself

When we try new things, we learn more about ourselves. We learn how we react to new things which changes our image of ourselves. Until high school, I had never been interested in learning music. But, to challenge myself, I decided to join the brass band—only then did I find out how much I love music. If you were to ask me today to live a day without music, I would probably laugh in your face. But you never know, maybe that’s the new thing I should try to learn about myself. There is no way to express the ways trying new things has shaped me into the person that I am today. I’ve gotten to know my likes and dislikes, and who I am as a person

Meet New People

Trying new things is by far the fastest way to meet new people. Of course, your usual hobbies and interests might also give you the opportunity to meet new people, but when you try new things you meet people that have different experiences than you. It is a good excuse to make new friends along with trying new things

Leave Your Comfort-Zone

I have to admit that leaving my comfort zone to try something new is my biggest weakness. I will choose staying at home, wrapped up in my blanket to watch Netflix over going on an adventure any day. Ever since COVID changed the way that schools work, I have had a lot of free time outside of studying and working. Last weekend, I decided to finally step out of my comfort zone and go to an art museum I’ve wanted to go for a very long time and it turned out to be a great day

Sometimes It’s Good to Be the One Who Knows the Least

If you are anything like me, you’ll understand that always trying to do your best and stay on top of your game can sometimes get very frustrating. You are always the one taking responsibility and are the one everyone asks their questions to. So, sometimes it’s good to be a part of something that you don’t know and to be the one that needs the help. In other words, it’s good to have experiences that end up teaching you something new. 

Trying new things might seem like a lot of trouble but, in a way, it’s a part of how we grow as humans. If it weren’t for all our different experiences, we’d all stay the same our whole lives—how boring is that ?

Kavya Sharma

ICU (Japan) '24

Is always listening to music and never paying attention. But tends to get around with things :)
Sarah Ishikawa

ICU (Japan) '21

Sarah Ishikawa is currently serving as Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at ICU Japan. She is a senior studying English and American literature. On her days off you'll probably find her at a museum, coffee shop, or just at home getting things done.