Why You Should Actually Put Your Phone Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

You’ve heard it a million times. From your parents, professors, friends, nearly anyone that see’s you on your phone when you shouldn’t be. “Put your phone away!” — It’s a phrase that’s going to follow us millennials through the rest of our generation. The typical immediate response is some eye rolling before we disconnect from the phone. Our whole lives revolve around our phone, calendars, ability to contact anyone if not in person, Canvas updates, the way we hear about the news, and yes every email from Career Services, make our phones buzz nearly 24 hours a day with a notification. It’s becomes human nature to whip out our phones when we’re waiting in line for coffee at the Pub, or Snapchat when we see a squirrel doing something weird. But here’s why you should actually put the phone down at lunch, go to a party and never take it to Snapchat, and live in the moment.

Here’s 5 Reasons Why Your Phone Should Be Absent in Your Life Sometimes:

1. Soak Up Life’s Little Moments:

Whether you are walking to class or standing in line, keep your phone away. Notice your feet squishing all the orange and red leaves beneath them as you walk to the library, before HWS winter sucks the color out of everything. Smile at a friend from class while you wait for Shirley to swipe you into Saga. Even if nothing important is happening, just notice the moment of nothing like our boy Winston.

2. Feel A Little Awkward:

We all know the go to cure for awkwardness is our phones. We all are guilty of texting a friend something like, “I’m texting you because I feel awkward,” or scrolling through Instagram just to avoid the feeling. Feeling a little awkward is ok. It makes us human and brings us back to reality, or 7th grade at the height of awkward stages. Doesn’t hurt to feel a little human every once in awhile. Moments of awkwardness usually lead to good stories.

3. Talk to Yourself:

Give yourself a little pre-class pep talk. Studies have shown that people who talk to themselves are actually geniuses. Some of history’s greatest thinkers, writers and philosophers talked to themselves and now we study it. Rather than clicking through Snapchat stories as you anxiously wait to take a test, tell yourself you can do it. As you wait in line create a mental checklist of things to do for the day. Create a little point of view commentary as you make your way to class, “Oh purple sweatshirt is definitly hungover. Grey sweatpants must be late af. Does that kid know it’s 65º out and a down jacket isn’t necessary?” It’s fun, no one is there to disagree.

4. Try to Win a Free Dinner:

Next time you’re at Ichiro, Bagels and Cakes or any restaurant with your friends stack all your phones in the middle of the table. This forces old school dinner table entertainment, small talk and conversation that doesn’t stem from a funny post on Betches or someone’s latest FB album update. Don’t Instagram your plate or Snapchat “The Squad” because no one actually cares. First to go grab their phone out habit has to pay for everyone’s meal, or if you’re living the broke college life, the tip. Actual conversations and the potential for free food will make the meal taste all the better.

5. You’ll Be Happier:

Studies have shown that Facebook makes us sadder. (Check out NPR’s killer article on this topic). The whole basis of social media is to show others what we are doing, so naturally it has become a competition of who’s highlight reel is more exciting or cooler. In real life, you are living your life for you. So do what makes you happy, laugh or excited, whether it’s some solo Netflixin’ or girls night in, a party or sleep. Next time bring a disposable camera or a polaroid to capture life’s moments!