This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Winter is here and you know what that means… harsh temperatures, cold winds, lots of snow, and seasonal affective disorder (S.A.D). Going to college in upstate New York, I’ve had to become accustomed to dealing with the bad winter weather, but this winter had been especially hard for me. The Polar Vortex has hit our school and going to classes in negative temperatures can be exhausting for anyone, but for someone who suffers from seasonal affective disorder it can be even worse. So if you’re feeling the effects of this harsh weather on your mental heath, here are some ways to combat S.A.D. 

1. Try Light Therapy

Sometimes using light therapy can help to combat S.A.D. In the winter we tend to get less sunshine. Using light boxes can help to combat our lack of sun and to stimulate your circadian rhythms in order to help improve mood and depression over the harsh winter months.

2. Exercise

I know when dealing with depression going to the gym is the last thing you want to do, but exercise  has been a proven way to improve one’s mood. Whether its going to the gym or just doing some exercises at home might help to combat S.A.D.

3. Get Outside

This might sound counterintuitive during the harsh winter months, but going outside can help to improve your mood. By getting some much needed vitamin D and fresh air your mood might actually improve.

Hannah Bini is a senior at HWS and is majoring in European History with a minor in Latin. She currently lives in Portland, OR, but is originally from Pennsylvania.