samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Reasons to Join Her Campus HWS!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Are you interested in pursuing a career in journalism, public relations, or marketing? Do you have a passion for fashion, current events, and other hot topics? Or do you love blogging, spend hours perfecting your social media accounts, or dream of one day being just like Miranda Priestly? Her Campus Hobart and William Smith may be the perfect fit for you! Here are 10 reasons why you should join Her Campus HWS!

1. Her Campus is the #1 global community for college women. Her Campus is written by the world’s very best college journalists, featuring national Style, Beauty, Health, Love, Life, Career, LGBTQ+ and High School content that is supplemented by local content from over 270 campus chapters (just like ours). HerCampus.com is published nationwide and in seven countries!

2. You will gain confidence and improve your writing skills. Do you get nervous when your professor announces a writing assignment? Fear no more! Writing for Her Campus will help you improve your skills and help you own them. You will no longer be nervous for those spur the moment papers and will be ready to rock your assignments.

3. Your articles will get published for a national audience. Yes, your writing will be published nationwide, how cool is that!? Week-after-week you will have the opportunity to have articles that you write published online for others to read and share on all of their social media pages!

4. Her Campus has an incredible network of talented women. Her Campus contributors have gone on to write for and land jobs with Glamour, Buzzfeed, Seventeen, Marie Claire, People, The Huffington Post, InStyle, The Washington Post, and even VOGUE! Being in a network with these women will be beneficial to your future too!

5. You will gain important skills for future careers. Joining Her Campus means being responsible for producing weekly content, working in an individual and team setting, meeting deadlines, and staying organized, all skills that employers look for when hiring! You will gain skills that will help you succeed and grow in any field.

6. Getting to know your crush by interviewing them. Do you have your eye on a particular guy or gal? One perk of writing for Her Campus means being able to interview your crush as Campus Cutie or Campus Celebrity, without the added pressure of actually asking them out. Interviewing them for the HC page is the perfect excuse to get to know them a little better!

7. You have the opportunity to attend cool events like Her Conference. Her Conference is an annual summer conference held in New York City, providing career advice and development for collegiettes and recent grads. Her Campus writers get special perks and discounts to attend this coveted conference. Previous keynote speakers include: Ann Shocket (Former Editor-in-Chief of Seventeen), Jason Wagenheim (Vice President and Publisher of Teen Vogue), Susan Kaufman (Former Editor of People StyleWatch), and Carley Roney (Co-founder and Chief Content Officer of XO Group Inc.).

8. It will help you land an awesome internship or job. All of the skills that you gain from joining the Her Campus team will help you get your dream internship or job. You will be more confident after all of those Campus Cutie and Campus Celebrity interviews, and will have countless published writing samples to share with your potential employers. Who would turn down someone skilled in meeting deadlines, writing on the fly, flawless editing, and tireless teamwork?!

9. You get to meet new people with similar interests. Nervous to start your first year of college, or just want to share your love for writing? The Her Campus HWS Chapter is a great place to meet people who enjoy and share the same career aspirations as you!

10. Most importantly, it’s fun! Writing for Her Campus is as fun as it gets! You get to express yourself and create an everlasting bond and fun-filled memories with your chapter team members and contributing writers and readers across the world! 

To apply to the Her Campus Hobart and William Smith Chapter click here!

Julianne is junior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS), where she is pursuing her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, with a double minor in Media & Society and the Writing Colleagues Program.  In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, Julianne is also a Writing Colleague on campus, and is the Publicity Chair for HWS Votes.  She is obsessed with her dog, Joelle, and loves to follow politics.  She hopes to one day work for a major news outlet that focuses on government and politics.