This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

I am graduating from college soon, and there is a level of frustration because of the expectation that after you graduate, you automatically have to have your life together. Once I have a degree, if I don’t get my life together, then I am still going to be treated like a child (well, at least by my family). I had sort of a revelation in the past couple of weeks that being an “adult” does not mean buying a house, getting married, etc., in a span of five years; it can be on a smaller scale and still be just as meaningful. Here are some ways that I adulted on a smaller scale, that still made me feel good.

1. I paid my own rent

If you Iive in Honolulu, you know that rent IS EXPENSIVE AF and bless up to my parents for paying my rent for the past four years. Since I started a new job with higher pay than my last job, I realized that I had more than enough in my savings to pay my rent – which I did, for the first time this month. It felt really gooood! (I am low-key broke but I am determined to pay Aprils rent also)

2. I worked my first full-time week of work over Spring Break

Now that I just paid my rent, I needed to make a bunch more money, so as much as I wanted to go out for MY LAST EVER SPRING BREAK, I went to work more in order to get my finances in check.

3. I have been cooking at home a lot more often

The amount of money I spent in the last three years on iced coffee and sushi is insane. I decided to eat at home more often to be more cost effective, and it’s felt really good!

4. Cleaning on a weekly basis ACTUALLY HELPS

I use to pile up trash for weeks on end and do laundry three weeks at a time and hate myself, but now doing my cleaning duties every week helps me 1. be sane 2. not be a disgusting person.

5. Taxes

Taxes are my fear, but I did them myself and I DID NOT MESS UP! Thats hella adult.

Being an adult does not mean you need to make big strides in a specific amount of time, but can simple mean making responsible choices that show your maturity…right? Idk, I’ve only been doing this for a few months!

Mariah is 21-years-old senior at Hawaii Pacific University, majoring in Mass Communication concentrating in Advertising and Public Relations and minoring Marketing. On her free time, she likes to join extra-curricular activities at HPU, go to the beach, and hang out with her friends and family.
Katrina Hicks

Northwestern '19

.