How to make the most of your last months before summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

One of the best things about Hawai’i Pacific University is its diversity. HPU is a melting pot of many cultures and people from all over the world. While this can be a positive thing when it comes time to say goodbye for the summer, it can be hard. From freshmen to seniors, everyone can understand the struggle of missing those you spent all of your time with over the semester. On top of the distance, there can be varying time zones and more. Even now, with Covid, hopping on a plane to see your friends can’t always be possible. Here are a few tips on how to make the very most of your time left here at HPU. 

Make Your Ultimate Bucket List!

You know those things you’ve always wanted to do but keep putting off? Do your best to compile a shortlist of what you want to do before you leave. Check out new beaches, try water activities, or plan a fun dinner at that restaurant you’ve always wanted to try out. In my dorm, we’re making a list of the movies we want to watch together since movie nights are our favorite.

Hangout With Your Study Buddies.

Those people in your classes you love chatting with on Snapchat, get together with them! Instead of studying or stressing over class, try hanging out and getting to know them better before summer starts. Or even getting together with them to study for finals could be the last hurrah for you guys. 

Start Planning Your Summer.

If you’re lucky enough to live close to the people you don’t want to leave, make some plans together for the summer! (if possible, of course). A road trip, plane tickets to visit, or showing each other your hometown can be a great way to stay connected. Everyone could all meet up in one place for a short little vacation!

Study Group

For those final weeks, do your best to make it more fun and enjoyable. Find a cute cafe or place to get together and study outside of the campus. Try to make memories while studying for finals and try to remember not to get too caught up in school and lose out on time with the people you care about. 

Family Pictures!

Having so many roommates or a large friend group can be great, but getting group pictures of everyone can be hard. It could even be fun to dress up in cheesy Hawaiian clothes and take “family pictures” together on the beach. Or any theme that fits your friend group can set up props for everyone to have photos to keep forever. 

One Last Dinner

Start saving up for a final dinner, even make reservations beforehand with your group. It can be a fun time to unwind and an excuse to get everyone dressed up. Or just take some Foodland sushi to the beach and watch the sunset while enjoying each others’ company. 

Set Up a Connection

Try being penpals or sending postcards to each other from your own vacations or favorite places. Care packages to show your love could also be an option or the always helpful Zoom option. Or check out Cappuccino, an app that went viral on TikTok, which acts like a podcast server for you and your friends. Every morning at 8 am, your “Cappuccino” is filled with the “beans” or messages that your friends send you. With the option to include images, story prompts, or even large groups, it’s a great way to stay connected.

Los Angeles -> Honolulu I am a first-generation college student born and raised in Southern California. I'm currently majoring in Communications with a minor in Marketing at HPU and love my life on Oahu! My dream job would be working on an NHL social team due to my combined love of photography and hockey.
Hey Everyone! I'm a Military brat which is the reason I love to travel and write as I wrote a blog all about our travels in Japan! I chose HPU because I fell in love with the diversity of ideas and mindset! I'm studying Mass Communication and Criminal Justice with the aspirations of becoming a public affairs specialist someday!