Wellness

How to Conquer Covid! I asked an ER nurse!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

Covid has become a huge part of our lives now that we’ve been in and out of quarantine for about a year. So often, we hear about the lives we lose to Covid and even how to prevent getting it, but we rarely hear how to fight it at home. Well, I did, and I know how frustrating it can be when you seem to do everything right, but still manage to get it. Throughout the process, I was lucky enough to have a family member, Tammy Winkler, an ER nurse with close to 30 years of experience at Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla. I’ll be sharing all of the tips she shared with me, helping you to conquer Covid!

1. Stay hydrated! 

Okay, this might be self-explanatory, but this was a HUGE one for me. Hydration doesn’t mean just water. When battling Covid, you need electrolytes to keep your body properly hydrated. I was so worried about what was happening that I didn’t realize how much I wasn’t drinking. Staying hydrated is crucial when battling Covid, which means a lot of Gatorade and Pedialyte. Ladies, if you’re also experiencing your period while battling Covid, this is ten times more important to keep you strong. 

2. Regular blood pressure and temperature checkups.

Everyone always mentions high fever as a symptom of Covid, but in my case, I thought I was fine because I had no sign of a fever. Instead, I was experiencing low hypothermia level temperatures (below 95 degrees), so I highly recommend checking your temperature every couple of hours. If it’s a fever, try cold compresses on the head and neck. If it’s hypothermia levels, bundle up and try to get that temperature back to normal. Check your blood pressure as well, too low is not good either. It can change without you knowing and if it goes too low you may experience fainting or dizzy spells.

3. It’s okay to take medication. 

I also suggest taking multivitamins and Vitamin D3 to help out your immune system. Probiotic and One a Day vitamins are also a good idea, and to load up on Vitamin C, and 100mg of Zinc as well. Tylenol can also help reduce fever, and Mucinex for any drainage and cough if you have one. Ibuprofen can help with cramping legs, and one baby aspirin every day can help prevent blood clots from occurring. I experienced frequent headaches as well, so take what you need based on your symptoms. 

4. Sleep on your stomach! 

Do what you can to not lay on your back, as this smashes your lungs and allows fluid to set in. If sitting in a recliner or bed, sit upright, laying back can smash your lungs. If this isn’t possible for you, try sleeping on your side instead. While sleeping, set a timer for every 2 hours and do your best to get up and walk around for 15-30 minutes despite how tired you may be. This isn’t fun, but it’s important to keep your lungs safe. Getting plenty of sleep is very important in order to have the strength to fight off the virus. 

5. Keep it moving. 

Remember to keep moving! Whether you feel like it or not, moving your arms around frequently helps to open up your lungs. While watching TV,  get up during each commercial and walk around. This was a tough one for me, as one of my symptoms was aching legs. It’s highly important, however, as you want to keep your body moving and the blood circulation through those arms and legs. 

6. Breathe in… Breathe out.

Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, to get rid of any buildup in your lungs and also release any fluid you might have. A common symptom of Covid can be difficulty breathing, so pay attention to any discomfort or even lack of breath you may experience. 

7. “Make contact” without “Making contact”

While Covid can tackle everyone differently, it’s important to do things that make you feel “normal”. While you’re stuck in quarantine, it’s easy to slowly start feeling hopeless or upset. After a few days, things start to get a little frustrating. It’s recommended that you watch movies, read a book, call your friends, find a way to keep yourself feeling “normal

Los Angeles -> Honolulu I am a first-generation college student born and raised in Southern California. I'm currently majoring in Communications with a minor in Marketing at HPU and love my life on Oahu! My dream job would be working on an NHL social team due to my combined love of photography and hockey.