katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

5 Simple Ways to Save Money

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

1. Order off of the dollar menu

This may seem obvious, but ordering off of the dollar menu (which almost all fast food restaurants have these days) can allow you to buy 3 or 4 items for the price of one regular item! This is a great way to grab a quick snack for $1-2, or fill up for a meal with only $5-6!

2. Order a kids-pack at the movie theater

Ordering a popcorn, a drink, and a candy at the movie theater can cost almost $20 – even if you order small sizes. Plus, everything is supersized so it’s often too much for one person anyway! Solution: order the kids pack! They are usually only around $6, and you’ll get just the right amount of popcorn, drink, and candy to satisfy you. Plus, some movie theaters will let you add a hot dog, a pretzel, or nachos to a kids pack for only $3 more!

3. COSTCO

Shopping in bulk, especially for the items you use a lot, is a great way to save money in the long run. Even if you’re only shopping for one, check out non-perishable items that you use on the reg (toilet paper, long-lasting granola bars, frozen foods). Fresh foods like fruit, pasta, and meat are great in bulk too, as long as you have a roommate or friend to split with!

4. A la Carte 

Many times at restaurants we are tempted to “make it a meal.” The trick here is to check yourself and say “do I really want it?” If the answer is yes, then by all means go for it! But, if you’re planning to just take that lunch salad home, maybe you have a beverage and/or a side you can grab from your own fridge.

5. Hack your must-haves

There are some things we just have to buy on a regular basis – sometimes it’s a need, sometimes it’s a want. To save money over the long term, try to find a way to make one item you buy regularly cheaper! For example, I’m totally addicted to Starbucks; and I found that by ordering espresso over ice and adding my own milk instead of ordering an iced latte, I’m saving almost $2 every time I go to Starbucks (which is often!)

Budgeting can be totally stressful, but by trying a few tricks here and there, it can be 100% manageable!

Katrina Hicks

Northwestern '19

.