What I’m Happy About Today: Alex Stephens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Having a bad day? Is college getting you down? Do you go to Howard University? Then we get it. College can have some of the best and worst of times. This column is a gateway for students to know that they aren’t alone in our large Bison family. I hope that hearing from your peers will continue to give you hope to keep going on another day.

Meet Alex Stephens, a sophomore Political Science Major from Baltimore, MD.

Avery: What are you currently happy about today or just in life in general? 

Alex: That I get to be myself this semester, I’m getting back to the things that are most important to me and the things that I like. I’m growing within my organization (The Society of Collegiate Black Men). Last year around this time I was in a solo-driven mindset and now I have brothers that I am happy to be with. Also, I moved on from certain people that were hindering my growth.

Avery: How do you keep yourself motivated during the darkest of times?

Alex: By remembering where I started from and that God has a plan for me. And knowing about where I am from and all that I overcame all the obstacles put ahead of me. I do this for mom dukes and my family so I remember that this isn’t just for me, this is for my neighborhood.

Avery: What advice would you give to someone who is really down in the dumps? 

Alex: I would tell them that everything is temporary and that God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers. Life is seasonal and that if something isn’t going your way then that means that you are working towards something and the outcome will be great. To continue to work through adversity to achieve your goals.”

Avery: Do you have any rituals you do to keep a good mojo going throughout your day?

Alex: Listening to music, it helps to stay motivated.

Avery: What is one of your favorite memories so far at Howard University?

Alex: At Howard, there are a lot of different ‘YOU’s’ you go through and with those different views of yourself or iterations of there are experiences that go with those different sides of you… but probably my best time was probably at Black and Bougie with my woe Spencer OR right after getting into my organization (The Society of Collegiate Black Men) and the time I spent with my new brothers. Our bonding experience was enhanced by the time we spent together until the end of the Spring semester.

Avery: What is one thing you wish someone told you before attending Howard?

Alex: That you belong! There is a reason why you got into Howard and why you are where you’re at now. Regardless of who is in the room, YOU BELONG. When I first came here I felt like I didn’t belong because of my background and that I was “inadequate” but at the end of the day you make it your business to prove that you belong to me in that room.

Avery: What is one motivational quote/piece of writing that keeps you going on a day to day basis? Alex: Don’t quit. Simple as that.

Keep up with Alex!

Twitter

Instagram  

Avery Taylor is a sophomore Elementary Education major and Afro American Studies minor from Long Island, NY. She has always had a strong passion for helping children and giving back to her community. Avery has been dancing and writing poetry all her life and feels like working with Her Campus is the next way for her to use her creativity to give back! Avery been published in 4 literary magazines in her hometown but continues to write on her own free time as she continues her education at Howard University. She plans on going to South Africa in the winter of 2017 with YAALI to do research their in education systems in comparison to what we have in the states. Avery just wants to continue to be the best example for all young woman around her but especially African American women! Her daily mantra is "strive to inspire before you expire" just to remind her of her purpose in society.